7.3 Turbo talk

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Yeah i probably wouldnt either if i had funds to build a truck right now.

I ran the d66 before i went to larger turbos, and quite honestly i loved the D66 with stage 2s. That truck was really really fun to drive. But up-pipe issues and all that jazz kills the deal i suppose

I HAVE to change up pipes and manifolds, that is my thing. So I look at it from the cost for amount gained perspective.

Reaction score
Whats the whole issue with the d66 and back pressure?
Ive herd people say it surges really bad, obviously depending on what sixe injectors are being run. And then other people have never had an issue.
Im thinking the ones that have had problems are running a little bit much of an injector for the d66 to handle. Other than that I would still like to go for a ride in a truck that has a d66 just to see what its capable of performing.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Whats the whole issue with the d66 and back pressure?
Ive herd people say it surges really bad, obviously depending on what sixe injectors are being run. And then other people have never had an issue.
Im thinking the ones that have had problems are running a little bit much of an injector for the d66 to handle. Other than that I would still like to go for a ride in a truck that has a d66 just to see what its capable of performing.

Never really heard of surge being an issue myself... I had it around the 400hp mark and loved it, have good friends that have ran it to the 500hp mark again with no issue. Beans has it right now around 550hp (i believe waste gated though).

Its quite the turbo for a drop in

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
I pushed D66 to 454hp and never had any surge, was a great turbo. Beans really out did their selves on the turbo. A drop in turbo that has been ran over 500hp multiple times and stayed together is impressive. So is the 38r. That is why I'm going with one. I don't have any plans of going over 450 to 500hp with the truck. What is the point to go with t4 when you really don't need it.

Reaction score
I pushed D66 to 454hp and never had any surge, was a great turbo. Beans really out did their selves on the turbo. A drop in turbo that has been ran over 500hp multiple times and stayed together is impressive. So is the 38r. That is why I'm going with one. I don't have any plans of going over 450 to 500hp with the truck. What is the point to go with t4 when you really don't need it.

Good point. But you could have a turbo in the 400's and with out the fuel your not going to make over 500hp. Im sure you already know this, just pointing this out for new comers reading this thread.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I have a D66 with 180\30's and the only reason I get surge is because of being a manual. Sometimes in 4th if I lay into down low and in OD below 75 MPH.

big_stroker

Reaction score
I've had my 38r on my truck for over 50k and put down a few 500+ dyno runs. The only issue I have ever had is a little surging going up some good hills with a load of hay equipment. I think I just need a 1.15 housing and it would fix the issue or if i would have just down shifted.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input on the QSSB guys. I will step back out and become a troll....:D:pint:

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I know the d66 is a very robust turbo so could it be used in a compound setup as the manifold turbo? Or does it suffer the same fate as a stocker would

Sent from my Pear phone using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
How could the 38r be modded/built for it to be the hands-down favorite?

Hands down favorite? I know I would like it a whole lot more if it had a larger turbine wheel - like perhaps at bare minimum the same size as the turbine wheel in the van charger. Other than the lack of the ball bearing cartridge a van charger with a 1.15 housing and a 38R compressor wheel like what the D66 uses is a pretty damn good charger.

Viking

Reaction score
Hands down favorite? I know I would like it a whole lot more if it had a larger turbine wheel - like perhaps at bare minimum the same size as the turbine wheel in the van charger. Other than the lack of the ball bearing cartridge a van charger with a 1.15 housing and a 38R compressor wheel like what the D66 uses is a pretty damn good charger.

It seems people are torn between which drop in is better, and the more I read the less I am sure of what I want. I have read the most is the reliability issue with surging thrown in there. Would you think garrett would be able to offer that type of option for their turbo?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It seems people are torn between which drop in is better, and the more I read the less I am sure of what I want. I have read the most is the reliability issue with surging thrown in there. Would you think garrett would be able to offer that type of option for their turbo?

A 38R is about as rock solid reliable as you can get with a drop in charger from anyone - its a tough cookie if you understand its limitations. SOME people have surging issues that vary with elevation and load. That is all that Garrett offers for a drop in charger. Its a great charger for sure - but you asked for a hands down favorite - and that just isn't an easy question to answer. I said what I said because I feel the limiting factor on the 38R is the turbine wheel - it doesn't flow enough which can cause higher backpressure, over speeding, and surging in certain circumstances - the larger wheel in the van turbo slows down the shaft speed, flows better, and is less likely to surge in similar situations all things constant.

Its just not a cut and dry easy to answer question. If you asked - what turbo can I install that is a drop in and that I won't have to worry about 95% of the time with small injectors, some towing, etc... I would say the 38R. There is a bit more risk going with something like I describe as its custom built in the aftermarket and its like any OEM part that is modified - it has a higher risk associated with it. The question is - is that level of risk acceptable to you?

I'm totally of the opinion that a T4 foot charger is a better options - but the various mounting kits all have the potentials for issues as well - and that is not a drop in charger like you asked for.

Viking

Reaction score
A 38R is about as rock solid reliable as you can get with a drop in charger from anyone - its a tough cookie if you understand its limitations. SOME people have surging issues that vary with elevation and load. That is all that Garrett offers for a drop in charger. Its a great charger for sure - but you asked for a hands down favorite - and that just isn't an easy question to answer. I said what I said because I feel the limiting factor on the 38R is the turbine wheel - it doesn't flow enough which can cause higher backpressure, over speeding, and surging in certain circumstances - the larger wheel in the van turbo slows down the shaft speed, flows better, and is less likely to surge in similar situations all things constant.

Its just not a cut and dry easy to answer question. If you asked - what turbo can I install that is a drop in and that I won't have to worry about 95% of the time with small injectors, some towing, etc... I would say the 38R. There is a bit more risk going with something like I describe as its custom built in the aftermarket and its like any OEM part that is modified - it has a higher risk associated with it. The question is - is that level of risk acceptable to you?

I'm totally of the opinion that a T4 foot charger is a better options - but the various mounting kits all have the potentials for issues as well - and that is not a drop in charger like you asked for.

Thanks for the responses, I think the turbo for me is the 38R or SD/D66.

Gearhead

Reaction score
If someone were to turn down a van turbine shaft (they are one piece) you could put it in a 38r center section with the van turbine exhaust housing.

neverkickn

Reaction score
If someone were to turn down a van turbine shaft (they are one piece) you could put it in a 38r center section with the van turbine exhaust housing.

So we are talking some percision machining here right? What kind of tool would one need to acomplish this?

Latest posts

Members online