7.3 unreliable recently

Baker42

Reaction score
Thanks Tom but I think I will try IPR first. It just seems like if it were pump from what ive herd it would struggle even when cold. Its got great pressure when cold I think the IPR is stuck open. I would have done it by now but our high was 15 degrees yesterday with 50+ MPH winds. Its not much better today but no wind so I will get out there.

Tom S

Reaction score
I have personally seen a HPOP that would do the no hot start thing before. Trying the IPR first sure is not going to hurt though.

Baker42

Reaction score
I will try it first. Do you know if any IPR will work I have a brand new one off of a 95.5-03the only thing I can see different is the lack of edge filter? Also have you ever herd of an IPR malfunctioning while hot? Some people say no, while others have told me yes.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
I am not sure on that one at all. I wished I knew for you. I want to say no however and I hate to see waste mGoney on them as they are spendy. Google with part numbers might help.

Reaction score
What does your existing IPR coil ohm out to? If its out of spec, maybe you could just switch coils first and see what happens. Cheers!

Baker42

Reaction score
I talked with Johanathon at swamps. He said temperature is directly related to IPR so I replaced my IPR with one that has edge filter 94-95.5 Its up to operating temp right now and still runnin. So far so good. Thanks to all:shocked:

Baker42

Reaction score
Me too, I dont want to go test drive tonight its 9* outside, wicked cold front came through. Ill wait untill tomorrow then post back. Johnathon said they deal with them all the time with the same symptoms and swaping the IPR 98 out of 100 fixs it. Go Broncos! 11-5:thumbup:

Last edited:

Wackerjr

Reaction score
What is happening is you prbably broke a spring in the HPOP it has slowly turned a groove in the revolver of the HPOP and has slowly ate itself away....orrrrrrrrrrr you got an injector issue, as I stated before... leaking from improper install, internal issue, or just bad injector, or bad oring or.... it is pump or injector period taken my advice from page one and you would be running happy by now (put a pump on it)... but what do I know I just come across as the asshole.

Baker42

Reaction score
I have almost 100 miles on the truck today. It idles smoother and takes off better with clutch I guess I had a little surge going on for a while but didnt notice it untill now. My trucks runnin fu*&%^ great. I just wanted to say thank you for the help and a little insight to get it fixed. Well now I know and hope some of you do too, that engine oil temp can cause an IPR to stick. And thanks to Johnathon at swamps diesel performance :tree::rockon:

Tom S

Reaction score
I think it is more an issue of the thin oil when it is hot. Kudos to Jonathan at Swamps for taking the time to help you! I am also happy to see that the pump was not the issue.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Glad it was just the IPR. I tried it on mine first as well because it was cheaper but it didn't change mine.

Latest posts

Members online