7 or 8 inch lifts, any regrets?

Tedorama

Reaction score
For those who have 7 or 8 inch lifts, are you happy, and regrets?

Thinking hard about an Icon 7 inch kit with VS 2.0 shocks, OUO Arms and traction blocks.

will want to 37 or 38 tires

Not my daily driver, tow my off shore boat, light off road, my pride ride!

have a 2012 F250 CC SWB 4x4 Diesel

Thanks for any input

Ted

Reaction score
Most of my customer usually start with a 4.5" lift and then wish they went bigger. 7 or 8 is a great start. If you setup the rear properly such as it sounds like you plan to do then you will not lose any tow capacity.

I would be happy to work with you and get you a complete setup from the lift, wheels, tires, etc.

If you want to talk privately you can PM me or email me direct at [email protected]

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
I ran the 7" icon on my 06 for 5 years daily drove it. Well worth it, ride quality is great, and height was perfect for 37s and 38s

TripleE44

Reaction score
I daily drove my 08 on 7" and 37s for 3 years. And I drive a pretty good amount. It was fine for me. I went smaller on this truck, and this truck or my next will be back up to 7'' at some point.

Reaction score
Fitting 37s and 38s is all relative to the size of the wheel. You will not be able to fit a 37 or 38" tire on a 12 or 14 Wide wheel with only 7" of lift.

CUZICAN

Reaction score
Fitting 37s and 38s is all relative to the size of the wheel. You will not be able to fit a 37 or 38" tire on a 12 or 14 Wide wheel with only 7" of lift.

I would think 37's on 12's should fit on a 7" lift with no problem, I talked to dantron on here and he's running 38x15.50's on 20x12's on an 8" lift with no trimming, just had to pull a fender flare inner corner in a bit, at most maybe some light trimming and 37x13.50's/38x13.50's should clear.

Now that being said, I have absolutely no first hand experience and I'm only going off what I was told. This is the set-up I want to run, so I be watching this thread.

Reaction score
I would think 37's on 12's should fit on a 7" lift with no problem, I talked to dantron on here and he's running 38x15.50's on 20x12's on an 8" lift with no trimming, just had to pull a fender flare inner corner in a bit, at most maybe some light trimming and 37x13.50's/38x13.50's should clear.

Now that being said, I have absolutely no first hand experience and I'm only going off what I was told. This is the set-up I want to run, so I be watching this thread.

Ideally 8" with 37x13.50 on 12 Wides is the way to go. The rest require some "massaging"

The Butcher

Reaction score
I'm running the 7" Icon Stage 4 with replacement rear leaves on my daily driver. Ride is fantastic. I would suggest going with an F350 block in the rear, as the ass tends to squat when towing anything heavy. I think it sits a little ass low with the way Icon sets it up with the F250 block even when not towing, and a few people have asked "Why does the back end look a little lower than the front?". It becomes really pronounced when you put a trailer on it. I've towed 12-14,000lbs with it since putting it on and it handles it well. Air bags will help too if you tow a lot.

Stick with 37s on a 10" wide wheel. No trimming necessary. Only time I get ANY rubbing is backing out of a driveway or other incline and turn hard. Can't tell if it is rubbing a bumper bracket, or what, but it is nothing major. I also have an Excursion on 38s, and they rub even with my 8.5" lift. It's really nice to pull into parking lots, driveways, etc. and not have to worry about rubbing. These trucks look proportionate with 37s. 38s look good too, but I don't regret going with 37s since it's my daily driver.

Attachments

• Side shot of Platinum with flares.JPG
    Side shot of Platinum with flares.JPG
    644.7 KB · Views: 190

Tedorama

Reaction score
Something like this build is what I have in mind

Icon Basic 7” box
Icon 7” Springs
Icon VS 2.0 shocks or Fox 2.0 shocks
Icon or PMF Radius Drop Brackets
OUO ALA or PMF Arms
OUO 8” block, 5 degree taper with traction bars.3/4 U-bolts, Air Bag Tabs
PMF dual stabilizer with Fox shots

What else is recommended?

Reaction score

Icon Basic 7” box
Icon 7” Springs
OUO ALA or PMF Arms

This is about right. Need to consider the adjustable trac bar, adjustable top plates for the rear blocks.

Layson

Reaction score
For those who have 7 or 8 inch lifts, are you happy, and regrets?

Thinking hard about an Icon 7 inch kit with VS 2.0 shocks, OUO Arms and traction blocks.

will want to 37 or 38 tires

Not my daily driver, tow my off shore boat, light off road, my pride ride!

have a 2012 F250 CC SWB 4x4 Diesel

Thanks for any input

Ted

Most the time people regret the height they chose. So if you think that you want to go bigger at all, do it now....LOL. Because that is when it gets expensive....LOL

bigsmokey531

Reaction score
I'm running an 8 inch fabtech 4 link on my 2011 with 38's and 24x14's. It rubs only at full lock but rides great and still tow with it. Like josh said if u set it up right with the right suspension and wheel/tire set up U won't regret it.
1c4622dfbdee0dbffa61115c132a2902.jpg

The Butcher

Reaction score

Icon Basic 7” box
Icon 7” Springs
OUO ALA or PMF Arms

Sounds like a good set up, but there isn't much need to mix and match so much unless you just want to. I would consider doing the rear spring from Icon, or even Carli's replacement spring, then get whatever block/traction bar set up you need to get the lift height you want. Improvement in ride quality over stock is considerable.

I've got the Icon Piggybacks, and they are really nice and ride great. Fox obviously makes good products too, so I don't think you could go wrong either way, but I went all Icon since they tuned all of their stuff to work together. That's one reason I just went with the whole set up from Icon...they have it all put together to work as a system. I haven't looked at the OUO or PMF arms in details, but the best ride quality typically comes from the factory arms dropped. The big rubber bushings in them help absorb a considerable amount of road vibration/bumps that help prevent it from transferring to the frame. If the PMF or OUO arms have rubber bushings then you should be good to go with those. Obviously I would defer to those guy on information about their specific product. I thought about doing a 4-link on mine like I did on my Excursion, but I'm glad I went with the radius drop and kept the factory arms.

For airbags, I would suggest you either go with the Carli long travel bags, or get the airbag cups that allow you to mount a regular bag without attaching the lower portion of the bag to the axle. I admit to not knowing about the airbag tab set up from OUO, but I can tell you that I have witnessed regular (non-long travel) bags adversely effecting ride quality. A friend of mine had regular air bags installed temporarily on his F350 (I think they were Ride Rite) while waiting for his Carli's, and once the Carli's were swapped on you could tell a considerable difference in rear ride quality. His 350 has the Carli 4.5" pin top system. Admittedly it might ride a touch smoother/softer than my Icon set up, but I wanted to go higher than 4.5". I think part of what helps his ride so good is the very light weight capacity Carli rear spring. It's almost as soft as a half ton truck suspension.

The adjustable Trac bar that Josh mentioned is a good idea as well. I was impressed with the Icon one I got. Beefy for sure.

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
I'm running an 8 inch fabtech 4 link on my 2011 with 38's and 24x14's. It rubs only at full lock but rides great and still tow with it. Like josh said if u set it up right with the right suspension and wheel/tire set up U won't regret it.
1c4622dfbdee0dbffa61115c132a2902.jpg

I'd like to see more pictures of this truck

CUZICAN

Reaction score
What are you running for lift in the rear? Full replacement leafs or AAL & blocks? Those first 3 pics all look kinda nose up, but the last one looks level, did you change the rear suspension or is it just the pics look that way? Either way this thing is amazing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online