76MM ball bearing turbo VS. stock journal bearing

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
at least I never saw a difference. But there are plenty other variables

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
On average BB CHRA turbos spool 15% faster than their journal bearing counterparts. That's data found in testing done by a company who manufactures both.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
at least I never saw a difference. But there are plenty other variables

well , i have run more turbos than just about anybody here, and the spoolup has ALWAYS been better with bb turbos. i dont need to read off any literature to prove that, just experience. that being said, it just means the journal bearing sizing is a bit more sensitive and needs to be a bit more dialed in turbine and a.r. , but somtimes results in slightly higher bp. the bb units have porven to be more resilient as well.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
The bb will no doubt spin with less resistance but I'm sure the journal bearing spins much better with oil pumping threw it and the shaft riding on a film of oil.

smoker00

Reaction score
I love the BB stuff. Has worked for me..lol

even after popping one. Still went back to BB.

I would like to see a big BB on a high HP 6.4 see how it would do..

No luck at MPD with them?

smokinstroker

Reaction score
I love the BB stuff. Has worked for me..lol

even after popping one. Still went back to BB.

I would like to see a big BB on a high HP 6.4 see how it would do..

No luck at MPD with them?

Colton malek is running a BB garret I believe, truck is stupid how well it drives for as big of a single it runs.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The bb will no doubt spin with less resistance but I'm sure the journal bearing spins much better with oil pumping threw it and the shaft riding on a film of oil.

this is what I was getting at.

But realistically, not many popular chargers are made in both ball bearing and journal where you can pull a back to back comparison. Turbine size and profile, a/r etc.

smoker00

Reaction score
this is what I was getting at.

But realistically, not many popular chargers are made in both ball bearing and journal where you can pull a back to back comparison. Turbine size and profile, a/r etc.

I see just wondering.. You guy have done a lot of big single stuff.. That's y I ask..

MorganY

Reaction score
Dual Ball bearing makes a ~300rpm difference. Much less friction. If you're BB isn't acting right, chances are you dont have the right restrictor.

Last edited:

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Looking forward to donig mine....

photo(1).JPG

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Morgan, just wondering what youre basing the 300rpm difference off of, your old 4088r compared to the 62?

ive thought about testing the new gtx4088r recently,

MorganY

Reaction score
Morgan, just wondering what youre basing the 300rpm difference off of, your old 4088r compared to the 62?

ive thought about testing the new gtx4088r recently,

Comparison between a GTX3582R and a BW 362. My 362 blows. After being around GTX's; I won't ever go back to a Borg Warner for the street.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Did you see the difference on your truck or just between yours and Kalebs?

Turbine wheels are vastly different sizes too, gt35 turbine inducer is 68mm where as the borg charger you run was a 76mm inducer (if its the 68 exducer wheel that everyone runs, huge difference.

Cant exactly compare 6.7 to a 6.0 either. My brothers duramax with a box 66 drives like a stock truck and zero smoke and makes boost at 1300 rpm, mine doesnt make boost until 17-1800 Apples to Rice Cakes comparison.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.