'95 PSD acting wierd.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Well boys I am in another pickle. Truck runs fine for the most part but sometimes when I start her up she just sounds like she is trying to run away. When I am rolling and get in to it just a little it does the same thing but white smoke comes out when it does it but then just regular black smoke (not promoting smoking she does it when I get in to her). And between 30-40 mph it feels like someone keeps taping the brakes (not sure how else to explain it). I have a scan gauge on hand to help diagnosis the problem just not sure what I need to do or look for. Thanks for the help guys.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I don't know but this just happened today. Maybe some one can give me some more insight on what might be goin on. No smoke while driving unless I give her a little more skinny pedal. RPM doesn't jump around but the boost gauge does. It's on the driver side bank and it sounds to be coming from one of the rear two cylinders.

2-9A60-4BF9-B6BA-9475AC516A14-405-000000209E2AD74F.jpg

purpleheart350

Reaction score
So far one of the guys in my club (NTxPSA) says it might be a broken rocker arm. Don't think it's an injector stuck because I drove it home about 15 min max so no hydro. No smoke really when driving. Anyone wanna add to this. Come on guys don't let me down.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
No CEL
No loss in power
No smoke other than the usual get up and go
Buzzed all injectors
Can't do a contribution test Due to Batteries are now dead

DTC-
P0603
P0344
P0267
P1271
P1277

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
how hard did you rev this thing? def. sounds like you have a valve that is not opening. pull the covers and check the rocker arms, roll the pushrods on a smooth surface

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If the vacuum pump is bad, you wouldn't have any brakes. Valve cover harness ok?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
if it was the vac pump the bearing would be blown out the back, are you sure that you took the push rods and rolled em on a smooth surface?

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Well not the vac pump: belt off truck running still does the same thing.

Contribution test done-
P0263-cylinder 1 " "
P0266-cylinder 2 Contribution/ balance fault
P0269-cylinder 3 " "
P0281-cylinder 7 " "

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
That sure the hell sounds like a rod knock to me. Maybe its my crappy computer speakers, but that things sure sounds like its knocking good....

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I have to take the passenger side cover off that's where all the codes are really coming from. Matt (mad Matt's diesel performance) said it sounds like a push rod so goin to check that out either today or Saturday.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Well thanks to Matt it seems that I have been able to narrow it down to a possible collapsed/ broke lifter. Not to take away from Matt but is this something I can change my self? Or is it going to take a lot of work. If it is going to cost my as much as Matt says then I just might do a motor swap. One with fewer miles. If it ain't something I can do, off to Matt's it will be.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.