95 super duty oil leak...

Black Beaut 7.3

Reaction score
The dipstick on my 95 superduty 7.3 zf5 tranny is leakin oil from where the dipstick is bolted onto the side of the oil pan. Is the o-ring replaced outside or inside the oil pan?

Black Beaut 7.3

Reaction score
from what ive reasearched theres an o-ring that i need to replace i can get to by takin out the bolt that hold the dipstick tube to the oil pan...

ghohouston

Reaction score
Im guessing youre referring to your engine oil dipstick? If so, get a large crescent or large pair of channel locks and try to tighten the nut before anything.you will want to turn it clockwise towards the front of the truck (if youre standing on the passenger side) make sense?

Pstroke96

Reaction score
you have to remove the pan to change the o ring. removing the pan requires pulling the engine. i believe either ford or international sells a repair kit so you don't have too

webb06

Reaction score
As long as neither pieces are stripped you can use the kit mentioned above. Pretty simple. Just take it slow so you don't drop anything inside the pan.

m j

Reaction score
tightening the nut will do nothing good. good chance to bugger the threads.

http://www.dieselorings.com/1994-19...8-011-oil-level-gauge-oil-pan-repair-kit.html

this little kit will show you how to fix it.
it took me a couple trys to get it right as I pinched the Oring. I read it was a special square Oring but what come in the kit is a common Oring

you will have to drop the starter and you will need a 2" service wrench to get on the thin nut
$(KGrHqEOKo4FG6EkMdV9BSBq-g,2fQ~~60_57.jpg

Bugman

Reaction score
There are a few write ups on how to replace the seal without pulling the pan, just do a search for "dip stick leak". Either here or on the Nation.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
That price still gets me. LOL
I guess when only one person makes it they can charge whatever pops in thier head first.

Either way, totaly doable with the pan bolted up.

Nodge

Reaction score
1 can of brake clean, 1 tube of permatex copper silicone.
Loosen the plastic nut, clean everything up, put a good head of silicone on, and snug up the nut by hand. Voila, no more leak.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
I did a little digging on this at work and here's what the service manual says

Remove the dipstick and put the hold in tool in the hole. Its pretty much a circular wire brush that is tight in the dipstick hole

Remove the nut and pull the o ring out by pushing tie inner plate off of it

Use international-442 grey RTV and be pretty generous with it. Reinstall the nut snug ans let it cure

Latest posts

Members online