96 7.3 MASSIVE Oil Filter leak

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
Hey guys this is the second time this has happened to me. Basically if its cold out side and I start the truck the oil filter gasket will pop literally out of place and leak oil all over the place. I have the Ford motorcraft oil filter on there.

After it did it the first time I changed the oil, put Rotella t6 back in with a new oil filter (Again the ford oil filter) Now it did it again, whats going on? I can hear it pop then oil is all over. its almost like its building too much pressure in the filter.

This morning was the second time it did it. I dont want to be changing oil every month

Bugman

Reaction score
If he is blowing the oil filter gasket out it won't be the oil cooler. The only other possibility that I know would be the pressure relief valve in the oil filter header.

Reaction score
It would be a PITA, but you may need to check the oil pressure regulator on the block side of the oil filter header/adapter. Maybe the valve piston is hanging up causing the pressure to be more than it shoud be when cold. There is also the bypass valve inside where the filter screws on, but that not cause your problem. Cheers!

powerjoke4life

Reaction score
100% not the oil cooler and 100% took off the old gasket, the pressure actually ballooned park of the gasket and I showed it to my brother the other day when he come over. Thanks Patrick, sounds like it could be that. Is there a way to test it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online