96 PSD TTB Help

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 xcab lwb 4x4 with the TTB. Im looking to do a Dana 60 soon as I can get one and go through it and install. ard part is finding one around here.

Okay problem I'm having is that the other day I was drivng and heard a awful grinding noise metal to metal is the best to describe it. I looked and the passenger side caliper bolt were gone so got new ones put in. I drove about a mile or two and the noise came back. Only does it forward not in reverse and this is all in 2WD havent tried 4WD yet. I seen where to caliper was rubbing the inside of the wheel but isnt now.

When I bought it the guy said the manual lock outs were acting up and gave me a new set with the truck.

My question is can it be the manual lock outs doing this or something else I need to look at to determine this noise.

My fiance could feel the grinding in the floor board with her foot. It seemed after I fixed the caliper issue when in the throttle it would some times go away but not always.

This truck is running the 16.5 wheels and of course freaking 35x15x16.5 TSL Swampers so full turning i do rubb the leaf up front bout to change to BF Goodwrenches 35x12.5x16.5

Any help would be greatly appricatied I'm a mechanic just never ran into this. Some pics of the truck added sorry for the long write up but trying to explain much as possible if any other info just ask I will let you know.
96 PSD.jpg
96 PSD2.jpg

mustube

Reaction score
See if it happens in 4wd first. If not, I bet it's your spindle bearings (not wheel bearings). But I would just go through the whole front end while it's on jack stands and spin stuff and move stuff around to see what makes noise.

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
yea thats what i was going to do check 4WD to see if it was still there and then get it in the shop in a bit and jack it up and get better look.

mandkole

Reaction score
is one hub just hanging up in lock position? that will make all kinds of noise if one side is turning and the other isnt. (The fact that the guy gave you new hub parts with the truck, hes telling you something... could be a number of things.) Try to get on a flat parking lot and push it backward in neutral while looking underneath at the axles.

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
okay i just went out tried 4wd a little difference not much. i pulled in the shop and jacked up one side at a time and nothing on the driver side but the passenger side i could shake the wheel rotor and all like it was just loose.

sootie

Reaction score
spindle bearings. and if they are that bad, its a good thing you are upgrading because likely the spindle is toast.

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
yea i couldnt believe i didnt notice it last night but i can shake all of it not problem so i got it narrowed down now till i pull it tomorrow

mustube

Reaction score
That's probably wheel bearings. Get new wheel bearings from a parts store and put them in with new grease. Don't skip changing the races either.

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
well im going to say wheel bearing and race might just be the problem im going to pull it down tomorrow after work hopefully. hopefully no more than that I have already checked and they have them in stock thankfully. Everything i have had to get was ordered been a pain in the but.

mandkole

Reaction score
yeah, its a pain. Strange/incomplete crossovers, etc--even Spicer dealers dont seem to have everything anymore.

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
Well looking online advance has it all but I'm going to check tonight and get it ordered if not. Thanks for the info and I will take pics and maybe a do a write up on this too if needed

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
Now after this my gauges should be in and then try to get some tires dang 16.5 tires are hard to find truck has 35x15.5r16.5 I found some 36x12.50 knowing 35x12.50 fit with the 4 inch lift better but got a good deal on the 36s

StrokerGuy86

Reaction score
Well tore it down and found my problem it was the inner bearing shot broke it half and busted up bad. Spindle was good got all my parts and put her back together jut got back from a nice cruise arund town. now just gotta work on that TTB Negative Camber a little. Hopefully a Dana 60 soooooon.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed2.jpg
unnamed3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online