97 7.3 Difficulty Starting

WhiteStroke13

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ive done some research here, and have a few ideas but I really wanted to start my own thread to maybe get my own answers.

I have a 97 7.3 CCSB I bought a few months ago. The truck is in great shape, has been really taken care of. Just started having an issue with the truck starting, if it sits overnight or for a long period. The truck will try and try to turn over, almost like a dead battery, but wont start until 2nd or 3rd try.

I just took out the batteries, had them tested and one was bad so I replaced with a new one. I also occasionally get the battery light on and off on the dash. Will come on if I really romp on the gas on the highway.

All battery connections are tight, as I just changed them out yesterday.

Starter? CPS? Whats your thoughts?

Thanks guys

DIE5EL

Reaction score
Have you tested the alternator? Sounds like you still don't have enough juice to get it to light. Maybe you have a current draw on the batteries when it sits. Trucks are touchy with voltages. Got to be pretty much 12 or higher while cranking

Sent from my ifone

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
measure battery voltage at each battery while it is running, if there is a voltage difference then suspect the cables (start by looking where the grounds bolt to the block, one might be loose)

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the belt tensioner. Test the alternator, check the cables. Always replace batteries as a pair, not one at a time.

TERRCO

Reaction score
Are you saying the starter turns over slow or the starter cranks fine but the truck will not start till you have tried it 2-3 times?

TERRCO

Reaction score
Check the oil level in the HPOP reservoir. While your at it check the oil in the engine. Sounds like maybe injector o-rings.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.