97 7.3 skipping, losing power

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
I had posted this elsewhere, and it was suggested I try over here.

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my Bronco and looking to maybe get a little insight.

Two weeks ago I put my Bronco back together after the cab swap, the first time I drove it was plowing in a snowstorm the following day (nothing like waiting till the last minute) Everything ran fine for 2 hours, then as I was leaving a driveway I started to lose power, and the fuel filter light came on. It got progressively worse until it crawled to a stop and died.

I towed it back, replaced the CPS just because, then the fuel pump because we realized it had a fuel issue. I replaced the pump, fuel filter, all hoses in the valley and also resealed the filter bowl. At this point I realized that I had in fact crossed the fuel lines when I had put the tank back in 3 weeks ago. It ran for two hours pulling fuel from the return line before dying when the level got lower than the return line in the tank.

I put everything back together today, and was able to get it running. I let it idle for 15 minutes then went to take it for a test drive. Right away it had a skip and pretty low power, I figured it had air in the system. It didnt improve, and after maybe 1.5 miles it started slowing down and chugging again. It finally wouldnt go and died in the same way it did initially.

I towed it back to the yard and pulled the filter, still had plenty of fuel, cranked and it filled the bowl. I put it back together and was able to get it to start again. We attempted to check the fuel pressure, but the gauge is broken, it seems to have a lot of pressure if you push in the schrader valve though. Checked the codes and it had an intermittent low CPS voltage, replaced the CPS again with a known good unit and it was the same. Ran a buzz test it passed and all sound equal. HPOP and dipstick show full. We then ran a contribution test and cell #1 failed.

Today, I checked the push rods and swapped the #1&3 injectors to see if the issue moved. After swapping them we had a hell of a time getting it to start and stay running, it took nearly an hour and a half to get it to stay running so we could do a contribution test. We attempted to get a fuel pressure reading, but the gauge was reading 12psi, it is suspect and is going to be tested on a known good truck tomorrow. Once it finally idled we performed multiple contribution tests and it is now failing cylinders 1&4. It seemed to be running the best it has since the initial issue, but still skipping.

Before I left I wanted to see how bad it was skipping under a load, while I was doing that it suddenly started sputtering again and then died and wouldnt restart again. I gave up and called it a day at that point.

Does anyone have any suggestions what would cause the 1&4 cyls to fail?

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
hpop pressure is definitely on the list of things we need to do, didnt have the correct size fitting though. Injectors have about 125k on them

BigRed97

Reaction score
According to the ICP readings via scan tool its around 600@idle with ~13% DC and (when it runs) at 1500rpm its about 1600psi with ~17-20% DC

When cranking(very extended) it will climp all the way up to 3k psi with ~45%DC before it fires

We are going to get a mechanical gauge on it as soon as I can dig up a -5orb fitting to use

mandkole

Reaction score
guys, stay on the fuel system, CPS and electrical. I would check all of the things that you touched during body swap and touch them again. Perhaps trying to run the truck through the tank return tube caused issues. there may be something in the fuel tank or fuel system causing issues.

This is not an ICP issue--dont waste your time with pressurizing rails and troubleshooting that stuff right now.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
guys, stay on the fuel system, CPS and electrical. I would check all of the things that you touched during body swap and touch them again. Perhaps trying to run the truck through the tank return tube caused issues. there may be something in the fuel tank or fuel system causing issues.

This is not an ICP issue--dont waste your time with pressurizing rails and troubleshooting that stuff right now.

you were right about the fuel system. Tim checked his fuel gauge today and it was working correctly. I blew out the lines, and still only had 10-12PSI. We brainstormed a bit and decided to try swapping the new fuel pump out for the original one that had come out of the truck. Fired it back up, and it finally started to run right.

Now time to tackle the blower motor not getting power before this big snow storm in a few days

Latest posts

Members online