97 F-Superduty 4wd Build (Pic Heavy)

RPScustoms

Reaction score
Finally got the problem side head pulled off, no sign of valve/piston contact, valves are seated perfectly, no crack in piston, I do see a very slight score in the cylinder wall but not enough to indicate ring failure. Any of you gurus have any ideas before I tear it all the way down?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Pour brake cleaner in the exhaust ports and intake ports and see how many and which valves leak. Did you ever do a leak down test in this? I didn’t read back that far…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
Could still have been a valve issue, head gasket or rings. Leak down test would have told you a lot of info

RPScustoms

Reaction score
Pour brake cleaner in the exhaust ports and intake ports and see how many and which valves leak. Did you ever do a leak down test in this? I didn’t read back that far…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could still have been a valve issue, head gasket or rings. Leak down test would have told you a lot of info

I did not perform a leakdown test, but there was no "popping" sound in the intake or exhaust when running, and no more blow-by than there was before. The valves appear to be sealing perfectly. these heads are only about a year (of use) out of the machine shop, brand new valves, seats, seals, springs. I will attempt a backwards leakdown test on the valves thru the exhaust port and intake plenum and report back.

And how’d you get 16” wheels on the 05 Dana 60?

1.5" adapter spacers and a questionable amount of grinding on the outside of the caliper

Last edited:

RPScustoms

Reaction score
By putting a bit of air pressure to the exhaust ports (im aware thats not how valves are supposed to work but here we are) and spraying soapy water I found all exhaust valves on that side to be leaking progressively worse from #2 (barely any) to #8 (a lot). There's definitely some pitting on the #8 valve but does it look like something went through it? piece of a piston ring maybe? The seal on that valve also fell right off when i removed the valve. Any guesses on cause? Going to pull the turbo and see what the exhaust wheel looks like as well.

_8_ex_valve.jpg

Last edited:

RPScustoms

Reaction score
Sorry for a very delayed update. Ive determined the used intercooler i installed just days prior to the failure was the ultimate cause. Must have had some dust/debris/oil in the bottom and managed to suck enough through the valves to trash them. I am curious why only the exhaust valves show damage though. Anyway.. motor is out. heads are going to the machine show for a checkup and valve job

ZF6_7.3

Reaction score
Do you recall where you got the header flanges from? Or what you searched for to find them?

Latest posts

Members online