97 F250 No start, maybe CPS? no smoke

Irishcream

Reaction score
1997 F250 HD 4X4 5 Speed
Electric Fuel, Tony Wildman 6 pos chip
On the way home from work today which is a 20 min highway drive t\he truck started to sputter and cough with a loss of power. I was intending on filling up because I was low on fuel and luckily there was a filling station nearby so I pulled into the station but rolled up to the wrong pump. The truck shut down totally before coming to a stop. I tried to start it again to move over to the diesel pumps but it simply cranked and cranked. I got some help from the gas station attendant and a cook to push my truck to the diesel pumps, put 50 in the front and 30 in the rear tank, filled both fuel filters on the frame rail but it still only cranked. I cracked the fuel lines to the heads with the fuel pump running and fuel came out. The fuel pressure regulator read 60 PSI.
I had previously had and issue with the fuel heater shorting out when I used to have a fuel bowl that popped the fuse for the Injector Control Module but when that happens the wait to start light normally doesn't come on and the fuse number 8 or 22 is toast. I checked every fuse about 5 times, checked and swapped the relays and the wait to start light still comes on. I tried to pull start it as well as jump/boost starting and it only cranks. I cranked it until I killed the batteries and finally gave in a called a tow truck to take it back to my shop. I tried every setting on the TW chip just in case it was a programming issue with not success. I am convinced it is an electrical issue but am hoping it is not a CPU or injector controller because it may be tougher to diagnose. I am going to throw the Snap-on Solus scanner on it tomorrow morning but am hoping someone has had this issue previously and can point me in the right direction.

old man dave

Reaction score
Do you have a tach reading? If not, then it may be a CPS issue. If it does read then check for High Pressure Oil pressure, may be a ICP sensor or IPR issue if you have low or no cranking HPO. Also, was there any smoke while you were cranking?

Tom S

Reaction score
I would start with the basics with the scan tool KOEO and Buzz and go from there. I probably would pull the chip as well.

Irishcream

Reaction score
Swapped the CPS, no go. Went through all the tests with the snap-on Solus scanner, IPR and ICP sensors both checked out fine, checked power and ground at IDM. Software at work says my IDM is pooched. Got a good friend sending me an IDM but it's gonna take a few days to get here. I hope that's the issue.

Gary

Reaction score
Swapped the CPS, no go. Went through all the tests with the snap-on Solus scanner, IPR and ICP sensors both checked out fine, checked power and ground at IDM. Software at work says my IDM is pooched. Got a good friend sending me an IDM but it's gonna take a few days to get here. I hope that's the issue.

So if you had a Solus on it what codes did you have?

Irishcream

Reaction score
tied a reman IDM but it would not run a buzz test, tried a second and that worked, started the truck but I made the bonehead mistake of not turning the truck on before putting my chip back into the PCM and she stalled as soon as the chip touched the PCM. Won't start now. Thinking it's now the PCM and hopefully not the new $500 IDM.

Irishcream

Reaction score
that was the most undramatic frying then. no noise just shut the truck down. I wonder if Tony would reburn it. I'd hate to run stock where I live.

Irishcream

Reaction score
I got the PCM back from being flashed and they said it would not download so the PCM is cooked. I'm gonna send my tuner back to Tony Wildman and see if he can salvage or even test it. I don't wanna cook another PCM if the chip is toast too. I'm still on the hunt for a PCM though. Not easy to find.