97 obs zf5 to auto swap with pcs, need help

Moosef350

Reaction score
Im planning on putting an auto in my truck, I like the manual but would like the benefits of the auto, anyway I'm planning on doing a swap with the pcs controller to get the best of both worlds, auto shift and full manual. I was wondering if going with the 4r100 would be better than e40d? and a parts list, so i can go parts hunting :rockon: thanks

Moosef350

Reaction score
And in the long run I plan on running 200/80 hybrids and a s366 from jake, and supporting mods of course, and I have 4:10s now I would like a nice overdrive rpm too, will 3:55 be good for that setup with like a 4r100?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I dont think there would be tons of differences in a built unit. The 4r100 however does have to OSS. The E4OD doesnt. So in terms of the PCS the 4r100 just plugs into the rear sensor and calculates MPH via programming. The E4OD requires you to tap into the factory speedo or speed sensor on the rear diff and piggy back it.

I would basically go with whatever one you find first and or cheaper.

Youll need a trans either a new t case or you have to swap the input side out because the output shaft on the auto is a smaller diameter.

Theres a dowel on the engine that you either remove or cut, I dont remember 100%. Youll need the inspection cover, flywheel, crank spacer and engine to bell housing spacer. If you want the factory look up top, youll need to either swap the auto lever or just swap columns. Its pretty strait forward.
Driveshafts are the same.
Youll need to rig up your clutch cancel system so you can start the truck. If memory serves me correct its up under the dash above the pedals.

Obviously the brake pedal is different, you will need the filler neck tube. And a plate of some sort to cover the hole in your floor. And a new rug or mat.

Moosef350

Reaction score
Ok i like the 4r100 idea better, will the obs auto transfer case bolt to the 4r100 or do i need a sd transfer case, the only real dark areas are the pcs and putting the 4r100 into the zf5s place, and do you know if the 4r100 would be able to use the obs auto cross member and the obs driveshafts???
And btw your truck inspired the 4r100 and pcs, So thanks :D

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
i did the reverse of what he is doing auto to manual and the t-case swapped right over no issues and driveshafts arent the same the auto is shorter

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Ok i like the 4r100 idea better, will the obs auto transfer case bolt to the 4r100 or do i need a sd transfer case, the only real dark areas are the pcs and putting the 4r100 into the zf5s place, and do you know if the 4r100 would be able to use the obs auto cross member and the obs driveshafts???

That rear OSS sensor just gives you more flexibilty in tuning and monitoring parameters. I think the tailpiece is the same other then that rear sensor, however Im not 100%
Glad I could motivate you, Its way more fun having a souped up diesel with an auto vs a manual. Let alone an auto I can shift manually ! The PCS is a very simple product to interface with, however if you want it can be very complex in its add on abilities.

i did the reverse of what he is doing auto to manual and the t-case swapped right over no issues and driveshafts arent the same the auto is shorter

Thats odd, perhaps the E4OD is the same. Maybe its the ZF-6 that has the larger dia. Shaft compared to the ZF-5. Good to know. I used the same driveshaft, even had 6" of lift at the time to make matters worse.

If thats the case your life just got easier.

trackspeeder

Reaction score

Think of the 4R100 as if it were an E4OD. Use your T case with the E4 crossmember and drive shaft. it will bolt right up.:D

Moosef350

Reaction score
awesome, Um what is the e4 crossmember? is it an obs auto crossmember/ drivseaft too?
As Ive only had stick trucks, with my mods and soon to be installed elec. fuel, any advice on things I should do to the 4r100 before install?

trackspeeder

Reaction score
awesome, Um what is the e4 crossmember? is it an obs auto crossmember/ drivseaft too?
As Ive only had stick trucks, with my mods and soon to be installed elec. fuel, any advice on things I should do to the 4r100 before install?

Yes.

You should be good to go with the 4R100. Bolt it up. :toast:

Moosef350

Reaction score
Awesome, Is there any special year 4r100 I Should look for?

Parts list: Feel free to correct

1. 4r100 and trans cooler/ lines
2. Flexplate, torque converter, crank spacer
3. PCS
4. E4 crossmember and driveshafts
5. Auto steering column and linkages
6. Auto gauge cluster
7. Auto brake pedal

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
you dont have to have the gage cluster if you look on yours where the gear selector is in with the gauges its just a little plastic pice that screws in take it out an replace it with the selector for the auto

trackspeeder

Reaction score
Awesome, Is there any special year 4r100 I Should look for?

Parts list: Feel free to correct

1. 4r100 and trans cooler/ lines
2. Flexplate, torque converter, crank spacer
3. PCS
4. E4 crossmember and driveshafts
5. Auto steering column and linkages
6. Auto gauge cluster
7. Auto brake pedal

Any year will do. :thumbsup:

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Not true. If you are fully rebuilding it then dont worry. But if you plan on finding a good stocker I believe in 01 Ford switched from a sprag to a mechanical diode in the forward cutch area. And when it goes, it goes BAD !

I believe 2001 is the ONLY year with this issue in the 4r100

trackspeeder

Reaction score
Not true. If you are fully rebuilding it then dont worry. But if you plan on finding a good stocker I believe in 01 Ford switched from a sprag to a mechanical diode in the forward cutch area. And when it goes, it goes BAD !

I believe 2001 is the ONLY year with this issue in the 4r100

That would be the early 01 model year only. Most have died by now.

Latest posts

Members online