20130729_215745_zps6d52ea45.jpg

Sound deadner on roof.
20130728_181212_zps3c5dbe0f.jpg

Dash dyed black
20130728_100354_zpse6d706ac.jpg

Gauges installed
20130804_164142_zps517dd77c.jpg

20130804_164146_zpsb0aa1d3f.jpg

That's all for now. I got a 6.0 fan in today too.

jwlandry

Reaction score
No pics step by step. I followed some thread off another forum via a google search.

The fan is 6# lighter and moves way more cfm plus its quieter.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
First off I wouldnt say the stock 7.3 fan is loud, but the 6.0 fan is quieter. Second, the 7.3 fan moves plenty of air for a 7.3. There are no fan related issues with a 7.3. No heat problems either.

I say all that because I know of 2 or 3 7.3s that have gotten 6.0 fans and their fans have grenaded, cracked, or broke apart. Taking out the shroud and/or the radiator. I can dig up more specific deatails about the incedents later. There was another discussion in another thread about this. And we came to a conclusion(not a great one), that the different vibrations and such from the 7.3 compared to the 6.0, is what threw off the 6.0 fan on the 7.3. Obviously the design of both fans couldnt be any more different.

My personal conclusion is, there is no reason to change out the stock 7.3 fan. It has no issue moving air nor does changing it to a 6.0 fan prevent anything unwanted over the 7.3 fan.

That being said theres no harm in you trying it out for yourself. If you can get ahold of a radiator and/or fan shroud with ease, then go for it. Not saying its garenteed to grenade, just a possibility. Not really a possibility for a 7.3 fan though. If I were you, and I got the 6.0 fan for cheap or free, ide set it on the shelf and keep the 7.3 fan.

Last edited:

Strokersace

Reaction score
I'm the opposite of your experience. I've ran a used 6.0 fan that I bought at a salvage yard for over 30k miles now. Not easy miles either. Been working the p!ss out of the motor. Zero issues to date.

And hs profile is the same as the SD 7.3 fan, just a different fan clutch assembly. So o don't feel that the vibration differences between the 2 motors has anything to do with it. I will say though that I believe that the fan clutch has more to dp with it than anything. I put a new clutch in brand new when I installed the 6.0 fan. Coincidence, maybe but its worked great for me.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I'm the opposite of your experience. I've ran a used 6.0 fan that I bought at a salvage yard for over 30k miles now. Not easy miles either. Been working the p!ss out of the motor. Zero issues to date.

And hs profile is the same as the SD 7.3 fan, just a different fan clutch assembly. So o don't feel that the vibration differences between the 2 motors has anything to do with it. I will say though that I believe that the fan clutch has more to dp with it than anything. I put a new clutch in brand new when I installed the 6.0 fan. Coincidence, maybe but its worked great for me.

Well thats good to hear really. I will search tommorrow for the detials on the others ive seen let go.

I still stand by my opinion in that its kinda a pointless mod IMO. I mean no offence. BUT, ide still like to figure out exacly why they either let go or work flawlessly.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
Ive run a 7.3 with no fan for years. On a truck with no a/c it doesn't make a difference. I've sat in traffic on 100 degree days and the temp gauge hardly moves.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Got the tunes in from No Limit and they are pretty sweet. I can't get out the tow tune though. I need a clutch now.
Hopefully I'll get my interior back tomorrow and I can put all that back together and be done with it.

Latest posts

Members online