97 upgrades

Quinton

Reaction score
Hello, recently got a good deal on a single cab 97 7.3 2 wheel drive. Only has 150k miles and got it for around $800 (front end damaged and I rebuilt it) so was wondering what would be needed to get around 500hp for DD and towing. It doesn't have to be exactly 500hp I'd be happy with 450hp. From research I've found I'll need injectors, turbo, tunes, (of course) hpop, and trans. Now the questions
What size injectors are good for towing and DD?
What size turbo? Was thinking s366 don't want it laggy though
What trans parts are needed?
Anything else I will need?
I will use this truck to pull my boats and probably my racing truck to events.

ncollins64

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I got ex, intake, and stage one full force sticks for now with e fuel and a hpop fixing to be installed. If I didn't get a deal on these sticks I was going with swamps 200/30s. I'm still undecided on turbo. And I'm a 5 speed but a trans would be needed. I'll post a link that was in my other thread talking about these injectors.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Originally Posted by golfer
The 200/30's work exceptionally well with the 38R turbo...crystal clean 425hp WHEN you want it..and bone stock power when you need that...

The 200's use LESS high pressure oil than a set of Baby Swamps, less oil than stock AB, or stock AD injectors...so even if your HPOil pump is "weak"...by simply installing an injector that uses LESS oil than stock injs...your pump will be able to support nearly any ICP pressure requested by your tuning.

I have run nearly every single injector that we have ever, or currently do offer...and both of my current 7.3L's are running our 200cc hybrids. Stock HPOP, stock fuel system...and one truck isn't even running studs...and hasn't for years...with no plans to.

I will say that IF you are going to be using any injector in a competitive nature (dragstrip, sledpull, or extended harrrrd runs on the street/interstate)...that you would be well advised to install studs & springs...

but if you're going to drive it 'normally' for 90%+ of the time, and only sparingly beat the snot out of it...then running the 200s w/o studs/springs is not reckless.

we sell dozens of the 200/30s each month, and (with our tuning) can only recall one person having any type of HG problem..and that was on a fresh build with an unseated headgasket.

In my opinion the 80% nozzle is a smokey pile...the 100% nozzle is not much better for the increase in power...so we generally recommend the 30% nozzle or the 200% nozzle...which can be just as clean as stock with the right tuning.

The entire reason to install a larger nozzle on any injector is to be able to deliver a significant volume of fuel AT A HIGH ENGINE RPM....

the 200/30% injectors can empty the full shot up to 3700rpm..and while they will still function at 5000rpm...the volume of injected fuel would be cut back to about 150cc's.

So, unless you are planning on running the engine above 3700rpm regularly..at full power..the 30% nozzle will keep nearly STOCK atomization (low low smoke), exceptional fuel efficiency, and will run damn good against other/newer 'tuned' trucks on the road.

We've done our 200cc hybrids with our 200% nozzle on quite a lot of trucks...(one of mine as well)..and that combination (200cc w/ 200% nozzle) has been a consistent 550rwhp...on a bone stock HPOP.

the 200cc hybrid alleviates ANY concern with regard to the HPOil system..since that injector size physically CAN'T use more oil than all but the absolute weakest HPOP in the universe could support.

It's just silly in my opinion to build an injector with a larger nozzle than the expected engine rpm dictates...

the loss of atomization isn't worth it for 99% of the street trucks.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Gotcha. So far I'm loving my set up. I was getting between 15-18 mpg and now 18-19 hand calculated. It's no 1k 6.4 but is probably a mid 300s truck. Runs smoother and quieter and plenty of power throughout entire power band. Not sure on turbo yet as I'm buying parts for my blown 6.4 lol

bruce

Reaction score
Pis 175/80's, basb, honey badger Jr hpop, intercooler, e-fuel, torque converter, valve body

Quinton

Reaction score
Gotcha. So far I'm loving my set up. I was getting between 15-18 mpg and now 18-19 hand calculated. It's no 1k 6.4 but is probably a mid 300s truck. Runs smoother and quieter and plenty of power throughout entire power band. Not sure on turbo yet as I'm buying parts for my blown 6.4 lol

Ya my race truck is a 2005 Duramax fully built. I don't need to vehicle like that so I'd be happy with a fun little DD and still able to tow.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Pis 175/80's, basb, honey badger Jr hpop, intercooler, e-fuel, torque converter, valve body

That is our most powerful towing setup to date. Many out there running it and loving it.

And these are some CLEAN 80% nozzles. Not sure why some cant make them clean and make power???

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I ran stage2 160/100's an adrenaline hpop,d66 turbo and gearhead tunes made 438hp before I had it live tuned. It was an awskme running and towing setup.

gnxtc2

Reaction score

That is our most powerful towing setup to date. Many out there running it and loving it.

And these are some CLEAN 80% nozzles. Not sure why some cant make them clean and make power???

x2........see build up below. No problem towing 23k.

Billy T.
[email protected]

D66stroke

Reaction score
Shouldn't need any more than a TC and VB. If it were me then I'd have it rebuilt with said TC and VB, pump boost valve, all the 4r100 updates, and a big cooler of course. I just put 300/100's in my 97, and I'm not gonna say the trans likes it because that's not the case at all, but simple VB mods really help

Reaction score
I've driven various 7.3 set ups over the years, 175/80s, 200/80s and a few other that aren't in the same category.

My personal preference was the 200/80s. They made great power and towed awesome.

Quinton

Reaction score
What is the max power you have seen with the 200/80's? I'd rather have more than not enough, have lower pulse width tables in the tuning.

bruce

Reaction score
Tim or Jon one said they've made over 500 with 200/80's, but if you're gonna go 200/80, you might as well go 250/200, same money

Latest posts

Members online