99.5 no turn signals or hazzards

brdmh44

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought a late 99 and my turn signals/hazzards quit working.

So far I've changed the multifunction switch, the relay behind the radio, and the flasher module. All fuses were checked and replaced as well as the bulbs.

I am beginning to think a wire is shot in the column harness after searching the forums and reading numerous posts. However, no one said what wire(s) they repaired.

Does anyone have a clue?

I reduce to drive without turn signals and I'm stuck without the truck.

Also, the running lights and all brake lights works.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
it's red with a white tracer TO the flasher relay...
white with a red tracer from there to the multi-function switch.

brdmh44

Reaction score
THANK YOU!!!

That is exactly what I needed. None of the wiring diagrams I had found matched the wire colors. Time to drop the column and have a look.

brdmh44

Reaction score
Well I have no power to the relay. Does that come from the flasher by your left leg fuse panel sitting in the truck? This stuff is so tucked away finding it is a PITA.

THANKS!!

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Pull the steering wheel cover off and on the top of the column, there is a large connector. In the older trucks when you tilt the wheel, it puts strain on that connector and it comes loose. One of my tabs broke so I had to use zip ties. It most likely won't look like its loose.

You will need to remove the ignition to remove the cover. Put your key in and push that detent ball in. I believe its on the bottom of the ignition.

brdmh44

Reaction score
Qtrhorse,

I checked all of the pins and connectors going to the multifunction switch and all is good there. I am only getting key on power to the flasher relay located behind the radio. The white with blue tracer wire, which is key on power works fine (switches on and off with key) however the red with white trace wire that is supposed to be hot at all times has nothing going to it. At this point I'm not receiving a constant 12 volts to the relay so I'm not getting power to the multifunction switch. I am now trying to figure out if the red with white tracer powers the relay through the flasher or not. The harness is so buried I'd rather run a new wire but I cannot find out where the wire runs to from the relay.

Thanks for the input!

QtrHorse

Reaction score
I never checked relays or if wires were getting power. I had no flashers or blinkers. Posted my same problem up and another member told me what to look for. I checked and it was the big connector on top of the steering column, under the cover. It did not look to be loose but I pushed it in and it was like magic, everything worked again.

Good luck with finding your problem.

brdmh44

Reaction score
Hmm I'll mess with it some more then. I bought the truck, drive it home and everything was fine. Went to pull it into the shop the next morning and nothing. Gotta love electrical gremlins.

brdmh44

Reaction score
Still having an issue with the wiring harnesses...anybody have a diagram from the flasher to the relay?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
well by golly..

Attachments

• Figure 22 Exterior Lamps & Trailer 1 of 2.PDF
    931.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Figure 23 Exterior Lamps & Trailer 2 of 2.PDF
    848.3 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Members online