99 7.3 Bogs when its below 30 degrees

My7.3IsAZombie

Reaction score
This might be a rather silly question...but my 99 7.3 is running like crap ever since it got cold out. Even when I let the engine warm up for about 20 minutes I have almost no power driving to work or the gym. Both trips are about 10 miles. Wondering if, although my engine is warm, my other components might not be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

4cstr

Reaction score
It could also be the exhaust backpressure valve working. When you start the truck and let it idle for a bit...does it idle up...then take on the tone of a jet taking off. A high-pitched SSSHHHH sound. If so...its just the EBP valve doing its job.

moose99psd

Reaction score
that valve could be stuck too dave, its been known to happen and why alot of guys remove it. and i personally wouldnt run any of the diesel kleen products except maybe the 911 if things really got bad.. get some schaeffers. i doubt its fuel jelling though. how cold is cold?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
if it never develops any power, I'd guess stuck EBPV..

if it surges, throw a white bottle of Diesel Kleen in the tank

My7.3IsAZombie

Reaction score
Update*** It's warmed up a bit and I'm not really having the same problem during the day. Only when it's cold in the morning...I'm talking around 30-35 degrees. I don't think it's near cold enough for the fuel to be jelling. I do believe it's just the valve as Dave suggested. Is there some sort of sensor that I might need to clean? After the truck is warmed up completely, I gain all the power back. Ie after I drive a good 15-20 minutes. I had some powerstroke fuel stabilizer stuff from ford that I threw in this new tank of fuel and that seems to help. I'm just hoping it's not tired injectors. Thanks for the input guys

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
You could disconnect the EBPV actuator from the pedestal and see if it happens again. Or it can be rebuilt or deleted too. Haven't had one in a few years.

Latest posts

Members online