99 died while driving now wont start

johndeerezach

Reaction score
was driving down the road and truck was running fine was going up a hill then engine shut off. now it wont re start I don't think Im getting fuel truck just cranks and cranks no start. checked the inertia switch since I was in a wreck last weekend and its only time I drove since. its sitting it the auto shop now might go mess with it later any body got anything to check? thank you.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
I forgot to look I was just pissed. but no white smoke, I couldn't hear the fuel pump though when I clicked the key to on.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
I didn't see anything obvious when i got it pulled over trying not to get run over. i tried to check for fuses quick i didn't see any blown in either block. i will go inspect it more later tonight. truck had less than quarter tank when i got to town put 10 gallons in it started right back up drove 8 miles to the next town then just randomly shut off.

89xj

Reaction score
My 99 did that. The heater in the fuel bowl shorted out n blew the fuse. The fuse is shared with one of the computers. All I did was unplug the fuel bowl heater an out another fuse in.

Very vague I know, sorry it was over 4 years ago. I can't remember which fuse. Just givin ya something to look for.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
yea any small bit helps. ok so the fuel bowl heater is needed to be replaced if that's the case then? I will try to dig up a good diagram so I can start tracing wires. I had all other electronics in cab. but when I clicked my key on when I got it pulled over to the side of the road went to restart and had no wait to start light either.

Atsah

Reaction score
The 30 amp fuse for the fuel bowl heater will blow when the heater shorts out and causes a no start with no wait to start light.

If the fuse is blown, the heater needs to be replaced..

johndeerezach

Reaction score
I will go in and check it out further. I will unplug it and get new fuse. it will still be fine to run until I get the new one wont it? thanks for the input thus far

Arisley

Reaction score
You can simply unplug the heater, replace the fuse and carry on. You will never know the heater isn't working.

Many people have been running without the heater for years.

Atsah

Reaction score
It will run fine unplugged.. Unplug it, replace the fuse, see if your WTS light acts normal and the truck runs like it should, if it does, replace it.. I believe the 99 trucks has a smaller gauge wire on the factory heaters and when people had problems with them they replaced them with one that has a larger gauge wire...

johndeerezach

Reaction score
ok well that would gimme a good reason to pull that fuel bowl and reseal the hpop at the same time got everything to do the job but the heater.

89xj

Reaction score
Yes sorry. I should of stated that. I never replaced it. Never had an issue for the few years after. we have pretty cold winters up here. Like said above. Simply unplugged it. Changed the fuse and carried on.

Arisley

Reaction score
If you do replace it, replace it with the one for the 2001 model. Like Atsah said, the '99 had a little skinny wire held on with four dots of epoxy. The later ones look like an electric oven heating element.

No need for it at all though.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
sorry been busy but thats what was wrong the 30 a fuse blew in the inside fuse block. unplugged heater and replaced fuse fired right up. thank you all

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Don't even worry about replacing that heater either. Ive been running without one for months and now winters here and no different. Same thing with all the 7.3 guys local to me. Unplug it and go

johndeerezach

Reaction score
well that is the least of my worries now. i wrecked truck as stated earlier and ins check was just enough to cover rest of the loan. 3680 all said and done. so its sitting now waitin to get in the body shop to start the rest of the rust repair and fix what was the new bed. but thank all you guys

Latest posts

Members online