A 8ft bed sucks...

B.Warning

Reaction score
I want 10'+

I'm tired of this short a$$ bed and have decided I'm going to add a few feet to the frame this winter. There's all kinds of talk about building shorty trucks but not about adding length to one.

It's pretty cut and dry, but 1 concern I have is weather or not a extra cross member is needed to aid in a little rigidity.

Thoughts?

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I will donate the extra framerail, brake line, drive shaft and fuel line length from when I shortened mine. :thumbsup: Haha.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Didn't Morgan do this to his pulling truck? If so, he'll chime in I'm sure.

No, his truck was/is a cab chassis truck with that wheel base. He's a genius so I'm sure he'll still offer advise.
I will donate the extra framerail, brake line, drive shaft and fuel line length from when I shortened mine. :thumbsup: Haha.

Didn't you cut 18" out to make the short bed? Those parts still won't be long enough.

14ccd

Reaction score
I would love to have a 10' bed. I could put in more tools and supplies. I think I will go the utility bed route, stay with something that is already proven many times over.

B.Warning

Reaction score
But right now you've got an 8ft bed that doesn't have to be made. So why complain

I have a flatbed on it now. So making it longer will be easy. I want to be able to carry my welder and compressor and still be able to tow my gooseneck. A 8ft bed is definitely not long enough for my line of work.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Here's the truck.

enegejyd.jpg

sury3u4u.jpg

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
I have a flatbed on it now. So making it longer will be easy. I want to be able to carry my welder and compressor and still be able to tow my gooseneck. A 8ft bed is definitely not long enough for my line of work.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you make a detatchable flatbed extension for it? That way you can have the extra length when you want it, without having the turning radius of a school bus. Dad often hauls 16' boards with his 8' bed, so I made him a bed extender that slides into the receiver hitch and has a deck that sits flush with the tailgate.

B.Warning

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but why don't you make a detatchable flatbed extension for it? That way you can have the extra length when you want it, without having the turning radius of a school bus. Dad often hauls 16' boards with his 8' bed, so I made him a bed extender that slides into the receiver hitch and has a deck that sits flush with the tailgate.

Because I need the extra space in front of the hitch. That way my welder and compressor will sit ahead of the gooseneck and still leaves me plenty of room to pull my trailers and have room for a pallet/pro box of seed, ATV, whatever.

DTL

Reaction score
I have the same issues. 8' bed just isn't enough a lot of the time. With a toolbox and fuel rig, there's only about 5'6" left for cargo. Not sure I'd want to deal with a 2' longer truck every day though!

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Because I need the extra space in front of the hitch. That way my welder and compressor will sit ahead of the gooseneck and still leaves me plenty of room to pull my trailers and have room for a pallet/pro box of seed, ATV, whatever.

That makes sense. Stretching 2' really should not be a problem. I had a service truck that I stretched 2' so that I could fit a crane and a compressor on it. It is a pretty straight-forward deal, cut the frame, add a piece, lengthen the brake line, fuel lines, wiring, and have one of the driveshafts lengthened. I did not add a crossmember per-say, but the crane mount did add some rigidity to the frame. I had over 100k on that frame when dad rolled it. I never had any problems. I loved how much I could haul over the road with the truck. However, the truck was an absolute pain to maneuver on the jobsite.

Buck1

Reaction score
I like those wheels. Need to look at a F450 or 5 with crew cab as I think factory wise you could get 10 bed. On big trucks we run a max of 54" between c members. But bigger rails. Your flatbed will give it some strength as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Jesse_01

Reaction score
If you was close I would buy that deck off of you so you could get a longer one. Lol. I tend to destroy factory boxes. Between people running into me and fork like incidents.

jdc753

Reaction score
Not sure if he still gets on here much but Justin Hawker (on facebook) and Hawker (on here) stretched his 7.3 welding rig, his Freightliner and now i stretching his T-600 might be a good brain to pick.

Also, why stop at 10'... a 12 or even 16 might good sweet on there...

10583794_10152651779929031_6224752682155100853_n.jpg

but really, the truck will look and work awesome with a 10' or 12' body on there.

k7lvo

Reaction score
Not sure if he still gets on here much but Justin Hawker (on facebook) and Hawker (on here) stretched his 7.3 welding rig, his Freightliner and now i stretching his T-600 might be a good brain to pick.

Also, why stop at 10'... a 12 or even 16 might good sweet on there...

10583794_10152651779929031_6224752682155100853_n.jpg

but really, the truck will look and work awesome with a 10' or 12' body on there.
What's the video screen in the left side of the picture? It looks a bit like a reverse camera in a KR, but it's almost too tall, and it does look fisheye...

Latest posts

Members online