A battery just for the audio

F-117HWK

Reaction score
What is the "Big three" You guys are talking about?

They are talking about upgrading the wiring for:
1) Battery to ground (frame or body)
2) Alternator to battery
3) Engine to frame (or body)

Im sure they can throw some more details in as well.

Barnabas

Reaction score
They are talking about upgrading the wiring for:
1) Battery to ground (frame or body)
2) Alternator to battery
3) Engine to frame (or body)

Im sure they can throw some more details in as well.

anyone sell a kit? My truck is getting up there in mileage/ age it may not be a bad idea to do this even though I am just doing somewhat mild audio

jdc753

Reaction score
anyone sell a kit? My truck is getting up there in mileage/ age it may not be a bad idea to do this even though I am just doing somewhat mild audio

I don't believe anyone sells a specific kit since all vehicles are going to be different, but you want to get the large wire like 1/0 awg and then start replacing or even just piggy backing the existing grounds, think of it as going from a 2-lane country road to a 4 lane highway, just makes some room for the electrons to move more smoothly.

I haven't done the upgrade yet since I have yet to run into electric issues with my truck, but I would imagine it would be best to go over your truck and use some junk wire, or string and get an estimate of how long you will need each piece allowing for proper wire channeling so it all looks neat and tidy, then sum it all up and order your wire and cable ends that you will need for termination.

Hopefully any questions or apprehensions you might have can be clarified by reading some of this thread, http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiri...52355-official-caraudio-com-big-3-thread.html

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
for the price of that kit, you could buy a regular amp install kit, you could buy quality bulk wire, and better terminals and still come in at less out of pocket

AKHILF

Reaction score
But remember you should use 0/1 gauge. That big three kit comes with just about as much wire as an amp kit and more rings. It might sound like a bad price but I dont really think it is. I would think hard about it if i did have wire laying all over. And for bulk welding wire thats 0/1 up i called yesterday was $8.60 a foot..... There price isnt too far off base if any. That site has the best pricing iv seen around.

jdc753

Reaction score
Nice find on the kits, gives a good idea on just how much wire is needed, I guess without doing any homework I would be worried I wouldn't have enough footage in those 2 5' pieces to make it work and look pretty.

AKHILF, I don't know what the shipping cost would be up to AK, but from where the wire is only in the $3-3.50 a foot range and you get a selection of colors, https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::PA#A2

Also for car audio specific cabling and connection needs check out www.knuconceptz.com and don't forget that sonic also sells pretty much all the electrical system pieces individually too, so if you already got those cable cutters, or some decent battery terminals you could order all the stuff in that kit separately and loose some of the "unnecessary" items.

AKHILF

Reaction score
I have mine panned out. Im just going to buy the wire up here. My friend owns his own audio and security shop. Great guy, if anyone from alaska's looking for anything electronic inside or out of your car hit up kreative audio. Hes also a rigid dealer. From what it cost to ship that heavy wire up its not worth it. Only thing im ordering is battery terms. But i need to pull in the garage and figure out how many inputs i need on them. I might do that today and figure out how much wire i would need. I could do this all with 2 runs of 4 gauge for each piece right now because i have a lot of 4 gauge. I wonder if that would be ok?

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Actually on our trucks it would be the big 4 or 5 if you replaced the cable between both batteries. I would personally buy the cable in bulk because it will be cheaper. As stated already, use some string to figure out the correct lengths before cutting any wire. Don't forget to leave yourself a little slack. If buying welding cable you might want to get 2/0 cable. 2/0 cable is closer in size to quality 1/0 audio wire.

The cableyard.com also has decent prices and the wire is high quality.

Last edited:

AKHILF

Reaction score
I got bored yesterday and did it with just a single run of 4 gauge didnt do the battery to battery but it really helped even with just 4 gauge. I can tell its still draining a lot of power but I think ill do the alt next then go 0/1 maybe vice versa

Latest posts

Members online