A/C stops cooling when towing

PsRumors

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 99 SD. The A/C works great until he tows his 5th wheel camper, about 7k lbs. It only takes about 15 minutes of towing and then the A/C blows hot. We have taken a 2 hour trip empty and the A/C works flawlessly.

An A/C shop checked the system out and said everything was functioning correctly.

Any ideas?

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
a/c is designed to kick out when running at wide open throttle. also have you checked the high side pressure? and checked the clutch gap with feeler gauges?

PsRumors

Reaction score
Have not checked the clutch gap, the shop he stopped at said the pressures were correct but he didn't get the numbers. I'll check it when he gets back to town.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
Clutch gap isn't the issue or the a.c wouldn't work unloaded. Definitely check pressures. It sounds as though you may have an issue rejecting the heat from the condenser. What is the truck's engine coolant temp, does it increase quite a bit?
Make sure there aren't a lot of bugs, debris or bent fins.
Are you sure the blend door actuator is working properly. It sits behind the glovebox. If it doesn't close you aren't drawing completely through the evaporator.

PsRumors

Reaction score
Clutch gap isn't the issue or the a.c wouldn't work unloaded. Definitely check pressures. It sounds as though you may have an issue rejecting the heat from the condenser. What is the truck's engine coolant temp, does it increase quite a bit?
Make sure there aren't a lot of bugs, debris or bent fins.
Are you sure the blend door actuator is working properly. It sits behind the glovebox. If it doesn't close you aren't drawing completely through the evaporator.

Will check all this when he gets it to me...thanks

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
clutch gap could very well cause this problem if the clearances were marginal on the high side of spec and the increased heat from towing could cause it expand thermally and grow past the maximum specification for the coil to engage it. this is a common problem that i have been seeing since these trucks are getting higher miles. if the gap is marginal then just remove a shim, its a free mod why not look into it?

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I'd look more at the operation of the high pressure transducer and/or the state of charge..
with the increased heat load due to towing, it may be running up the high side pressure to the point it shuts the system down..

OR

it's juuuuuuuuuuuuust low enough on charge the increased heat load on the system boils the refrigerant in the condensor, before it ever gets to the orfice tube..

either way, hanging a manifold gauge set on it is the place to start

Arisley

Reaction score
clutch gap could very well cause this problem if the clearances were marginal on the high side of spec and the increased heat from towing could cause it expand thermally and grow past the maximum specification for the coil to engage it. this is a common problem that i have been seeing since these trucks are getting higher miles. if the gap is marginal then just remove a shim, its a free mod why not look into it?

I have seen this issue exactly on three trucks in the last year. Removing a shim works perfectly.

e.nickkk

Reaction score
is the fan clutch working I had my go out and did the same thing but only under load

Latest posts

Members online