A few questions

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I know a little about these engines, but not the various systems within, so bear with me here:

First off, I thought I had an injector problem, cruising down the road it's fine, under accel, no problems and starts like a champ when cold(not super cold). Idling; however, is a different story, the tach moves with the idle, which sounds like a "weak" lope tune, occasionally this "lope" or miss is enough to feel the cab shaking, similar to when I bought the truck and it needed an inj. so naturally, that's where I believed the problem to be. After thinking about it more though, is it possibly a HPO issue? It starts and idles fine while cold, and the miss only happens once it is warmed up. I don't know of the inner workings of the HPO system, but I do know that a warm start is a test to see if there are and major problems, and I feel that my truck may crank just a little longer than it should.

I was thinking about seeing how much a local dealer would charge to run a contrib. test, would that be a good move? I don't have AE and I'd rather not buy it now, but the last two times I've had tests run, it cost me $100 each, so it is obviously more cost effective. Also, doing so, should I return the truck to the stock tune? (currently on SRL) I could see a tech complaining about that, or reflashing the truck while/if I'm not standing over his shoulder.

More on HPO, I'm not sure of it's workings, other than it supplies oil to the injectors using the HPOP and a little past that. With that said, what are signs that the HPOP is going out or there is a HPO issue? With a labor quote for studs, I'd like to compile a list of necessary parts, and a HPOP is a nice chunk of change that I'd hate to not account for when looking over my budget.

Also, anyone in the general Baton Rouge area(preferably w/in an hour or so) with: a). pretty good knowledge on 6.0s and or b). AE access(or any other scan tool) that doesn't mind helping a brotha out I'd greatly appreciate it, we can dine on me(no Ruth Chris tho lol).

Also, on the topic of injectors, if they do need replacing, what would be my best option(brand & size and budget)? I plan on maybe a 500-600 hp truck eventually(I think), just something fun. No real towing, but it'd be nice to be able to tow(a buddy has cattle, may help him over the summer). Since I'm in college, I'd like to stay small enough to run stock oil and not NEED a RR. I was thinking maybe a 175cc injector?

Turbo suggestions would be nice as well, but that will certainly come later.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Steady or intermittent miss? Hows mpg?

Pretty steady, but only while idling, especially while in drive. Mpg is chit lol, 11.4 dash. 80% city on 35s and SRL.
8aha3u2y.jpg

Edge is giving me this, so I'm assuming I have an effed injector and HPO is fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Pretty steady, but only while idling, especially while in drive. Mpg is chit lol, 11.4 dash. 80% city on 35s and SRL.
8aha3u2y.jpg

Edge is giving me this, so I'm assuming I have an effed injector and HPO is fine?

Go back the stock tune and see what your ICP is on a full throttle pull. Should be 3900-4000 psi. When the HPOP starts failing it shows up at full demand first. As far as your issue, I'd put money on an injector. Some fail cold, some warm, some at load, some at idle.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Go back the stock tune and see what your ICP is on a full throttle pull. Should be 3900-4000 psi. When the HPOP starts failing it shows up at full demand first. As far as your issue, I'd put money on an injector. Some fail cold, some warm, some at load, some at idle.

I'll try to check that tomorrow.

Highest ICP I saw was 14XX I believe, but I was kinda driving casually, since the roads are kinda slick.

Also, what should I be seeing for a Boost to EBP ratio? Didn't think to data log, but I remember about 8psi to 14 psi(EBP) driving conservatively. Is that a pretty good area?

The miss was so bad that my mom noticed and took a vid, you can hear it chugging at the tailpipe while in reverse, then it quits in park.

Reaction score
Trying to compare boost and EBP through something like an Edge is almost impossible. Need analog gauges to do it correctly. ICP won't read correctly with a tune loaded. Have you changed the STC fitting on the pump yet?

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Trying to compare boost and EBP through something like an Edge is almost impossible. Need analog gauges to do it correctly. ICP won't read correctly with a tune loaded. Have you changed the STC fitting on the pump yet?

I haven't, that's all in the plans though, but for now, as far as I know, everything under the hood is stock.

Reaction score
I haven't, that's all in the plans though, but for now, as far as I know, everything under the hood is stock.

You can always have Ford run an Oasis report and see what's been done under warranty. Most of those STC fittings don't make it past 100K. Also, if you're changing an injector it would be worth it to change the stand pipes and dummy plugs while you're there.

imelmo

Reaction score
Run 160z of Power Service Diesel Kleen in your next tank and throw some Rev-X in the oil and see what happens.

swinky

Reaction score
Also you could try pulling one injector plug at a time and see what one doesn't make a difference. Try pulling codes on your sct as well.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'll try to do everything this weekend except Rev-x, probably do that next weekend. Need to order some.

How does one go about unplugging an injector? Or rather where are the plugs to pull?

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
You can always have Ford run an Oasis report and see what's been done under warranty. Most of those STC fittings don't make it past 100K. Also, if you're changing an injector it would be worth it to change the stand pipes and dummy plugs while you're there.

Matt ran me an oasis, no STC fittings

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Sorry for the derail but i have a Edge CTS and i CANT monitor IPR. I'm curious if thats only with the CTS models or what?

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
I just did and its good now. Wish I would have thought of that sooner...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online