A More Durable Degas: Mishimoto’s 6.0L Aluminum Degas Bottle R&D

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Project update!

A More Durable Degas. Mishimoto’s Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Aluminum Degas Bottle R&D, Part 2: Initial 3D Models

Quick update for this awesome degas bottle project! Our engineering team has been working to construct an aluminum degas bottle design for the 6.0, using our 3D-modeling software. We’ve incorporated some neat features, and we’ve included factory-style hose connection points and bottle mounts.

Let’s take a look!

Render-4.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0 Powerstroke degas bottle 3D model

In this model you can see our plans for maintaining an appropriate fluid level. A simple sight tube will do the trick for our bottle design. You can also see the machined cap threads that we designed to function with the factory cap.

Render-3.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0 Powerstroke degas bottle 3D model

The opposite side of the bottle reveals mounting points and three hose connections that are modeled after those on the factory bottle. A unique feature here is the pressure sensor port. We had numerous requests for this inclusion, so we worked it into the design.

We discussed possibly including internal baffling for this bottle. Internal baffling plays a big role in keeping air from entering the rest of the cooling system, and we are interested in testing this theory.

Take a look below at a cutaway of our model showing some of the passages and internal ports.

Render-1.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0 degas bottle 3D model

Neat stuff!

Coming Up – 3D Printing

Instead of jumping right into producing a functional prototype, we have other methods for verifying our design in terms of fitment. We will be 3D printing our prototype to determine if any adjustments are needed to the mounting points, basic shape, or hose connection locations.

Keep an eye on our blog for additional updates on upcoming 6.0 Powerstroke parts.

Thanks for reading!
-John

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
The tank itself looks great... but the sight tube looks like an afterthought.
I know this is just a 3D model but IMO the plastic push-loc fittings with a bit of plastic tubing are the weak point of the design.

jwlandry

Reaction score
I know this is just a 3D model but IMO the plastic push-loc fittings with a bit of plastic tubing are the weak point of the design.

I agree with this. Looks out of place.

rentstdi

Reaction score
Yes, I really don't care for the sight tube on the can. I actually don't care for those types on anything. Radiator, oil pans, fuel tanks. They alway seem to leak/seep after a while. What about a sight glass that's used in a lot of radiators in the industrial market. I'll see if I can take a picture of what I mean today during work.

This one uses a sealing washer for the threads but their are some that use pipe taper threads.
This is a cummins power generation part number of the sight glass.
130-7032 sight glass
A053f562 washer fiber

Just an option to think about.

58BD2C17-9513-48B8-B49D-8242B6CC3FAD.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

renegade

Reaction score
I like the sight glass versus the exterior tube. Also at least 1, 1/2"FPT bung would be nice for those of use that are returning coolant directly from the oil cooler rather than a tee in the heater line.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I like the sight glass versus the exterior tube. Also at least 1, 1/2"FPT bung would be nice for those of use that are returning coolant directly from the oil cooler rather than a tee in the heater line.

the problem with a site glass is some trucks run lower coolant levels then other trucks, they arent all exactly going to be in the class.

Charles

Reaction score
How do I know the head sealing design on the 6oh sucks horrifically with no real solution?

When people just give up and decide it's easier to beef up the poor degas bottle so it can take a better cylinder pressure pounding, because the heads will never seal...

Dang.

sootie

Reaction score
How do I know the head sealing design on the 6oh sucks horrifically with no real solution?

When people just give up and decide it's easier to beef up the poor degas bottle so it can take a better cylinder pressure pounding, because the heads will never seal...

Dang.

Yes, four bolts per cylinder sucks. simple ARP's are a great solution for 80%+ of people tho...

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
the problem with a site glass is some trucks run lower coolant levels then other trucks, they arent all exactly going to be in the glass.
Use 2 site glasses, 1 at the min level and 1 at the max, or an oval site glass.
I don't think I would buy the tank if it the final design has the external fittings and a site tube like the 3D drawing.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Personally...I love the site tube. Never had an issue with mine

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1454547861156.jpg
    FB_IMG_1454547861156.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20150903_115313_301.jpg
    IMG_20150903_115313_301.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Looking good john.....have a couple builds coming up would like to maybe see these make it into the build sheets.

I'm in for one. My stocker is cracked.

Looking good! :thumbsup:

Thanks for checking it out guys!

Do you have any idea on price point since there aren't a ton of these on the market to compare to?

No pricing details at the moment. Once we have a better idea of our finalized design we should be able to put some rough pricing together for you guys. We will be running a discounted pre-sale for forum members at some point as well.

I agree with this. Looks out of place.

I was also hoping to see a cleaner looking sight glass application.

Thanks for posting up opinions guys! Will definitely take a closer look at other options for verifying fluid level with our aluminum tank.

Yes, I really don't care for the sight tube on the can. I actually don't care for those types on anything. Radiator, oil pans, fuel tanks. They alway seem to leak/seep after a while. What about a sight glass that's used in a lot of radiators in the industrial market. I'll see if I can take a picture of what I mean today during work.

This one uses a sealing washer for the threads but their are some that use pipe taper threads.
This is a cummins power generation part number of the sight glass.
130-7032 sight glass
A053f562 washer fiber

Just an option to think about.

Thanks for taking the time to look this sight glass up! I will pass this on to the engineer designing this particular component.

Use 2 site glasses, 1 at the min level and 1 at the max, or an oval site glass.
I don't think I would buy the tank if it the final design has the external fittings and a site tube like the 3D drawing.

Not a bad idea here! Thanks for chiming in with the recommendation and opinion.

Thanks for all of the comments guys!
-John

golfer

Reaction score

Dang.

we're about to release some carbon fiber reinforced coolant hoses and billet heater cores as well.

/s

Latest posts

Members online