A thought for a CP3

Stroked777

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb idea or may not work but I haven't heard of it and I was thinking is there anyway to fab up something to run a CP3 in place of the ford pump in the valley? What got me thinking about this is because they got cp3s that could flow a lot more than stock but it's still just a single pump. Would it be possible to do, make a gear that will drive the pump along with possibly a mount that will mount it to the stock ford location and a custom pump cover? Just thought I bounce the idea around

B585Ford

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb idea or may not work but I haven't heard of it and I was thinking is there anyway to fab up something to run a CP3 in place of the ford pump in the valley? What got me thinking about this is because they got cp3s that could flow a lot more than stock but it's still just a single pump. Would it be possible to do, make a gear that will drive the pump along with possibly a mount that will mount it to the stock ford location and a custom pump cover? Just thought I bounce the idea around

I looked into that a while ago. Tuning is the hard part. RCD's kit doesn't use the CP3 to control RP, it uses it the CP3 to provide additional fuel but RP is basically controlled by the K16. I assume you were referring to a modded CP3 single pump. The problem is that you would have to use just that pump to completely control RP. Since it has a single valve/regulator and the K16 has 2 valves, you would have to rewire it if you were going to use the ECM to control it because the CP3 only has 2 wires controlling the regulator but the K16 has 4 wires. IMO there are definitely a lot of advantages to it IF you could control it. And yeah, it would need a different gear and you would need to fabricate brackets to mount it in the valley.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I was not talking about using it in a dual pump set up, I'm talking using it alone, that way you could still run lower classes in pulling

Again this was just one of those thoughts that popped in my head sitting at work LOL

lubeowner

Reaction score
Controlling it is easy. The fact that it would spin the wrong way when mounted is your issue. Belt drive a single cp3 is about the only way for it to work. Would the rules allow that? It also is cheaper to put on dual siemens at that point.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
CP3 also only has one high pressure outlet, so you'd have to find a way to feed both rails as well. They also mount completely different which may need mods to the block itself. And designing a cover plate that doesn't leak would be quite the feat.

Reaction score
Unfortunately if it was feasible to do it, it would have been done by now. It's more likely that there will be a better modded k16 before a cp3 would ever be fitted in.

And it wouldn't fit the stock appearing rules if it was out front. So basically stuck for now.

LFDPvinny

Reaction score
We were just discussing this yesterday here at the shop, but we are trying to figure out how to do it on a 6.7 I think it will be a lot easier in that application.

Stroked777

Reaction score
We were just discussing this yesterday here at the shop, but we are trying to figure out how to do it on a 6.7 I think it will be a lot easier in that application.

great mind think alike LOL, im just glad i wasnt the only one goofing off at work, any ways the OP was just a thought its nice to see the input

B585Ford

Reaction score
Controlling it is easy. The fact that it would spin the wrong way when mounted is your issue. Belt drive a single cp3 is about the only way for it to work. Would the rules allow that? It also is cheaper to put on dual siemens at that point.

I talked to a few people that write tunes about this when I was looking into it. They did not share your view that it would be "easy". Perhaps I have over looked somthing. What would be the easy method...ECM, stand alone box, etc?

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I was not talking about using it in a dual pump set up, I'm talking using it alone, that way you could still run lower classes in pulling

Again this was just one of those thoughts that popped in my head sitting at work LOL

You don't work

LFDPvinny

Reaction score
We were looking at it very closely last week, the hole in the front cover is the same diameter for a CP3 or a CP4.

It would be a matter of figuring our all the lines and splitting one outlet to feed the two rails, which wouldn't be hard.

But obviously like the 6.4 deal it's going to be a matter of tuning to make anything like this work.

I know Nelson from ATS and he does all of their standalone electronics and builds their CoPilots. I think he could figure out how to control it to the point where it could be tuned.

I know Fleece is already in the works on a CP3 kit to replace the CP4 on the LML Duramax trucks.

Latest posts

Members online