about to order gtp38r

Rupp250

Reaction score
Like the title says, I am about to order one. Santa brought me the rest of my money. (no thanks to the wife, she went and bought herself a Nexus 10.)Anything else I need to get to do the job.

Found a couple for $1430, I think that is the best price out there since the increase. Maybe not, let me know.

sidwaz

Reaction score
Depending on your plans for your truck you may want to look into a t4 mount and turbo. There are many turbo choices for this mount for whatever injector size you may choose in the future. Not that there is anything wrong with this turbo. I bought one this time last year and have since installed a set of hybrid injectors and wish I had gone for a t4 mount.

Tncoalroller88

Reaction score
It is a great turbo it does pretty good keeping up with my 238/100 . If your buying other things id definetly delete the ebpv with a blank pedestal and a high flow outlet and possibly a banks big head waste gate or a turbo master from diesel site .

DocBar

Reaction score
You should really think about going with a T4 turbo. Going that route allows room for growth in the future.

After ~45k miles on mine, I hate it. It's just so dang loud.

Terry_7.3

Reaction score
You should really think about going with a T4 turbo. Going that route allows room for growth in the future.

After ~45k miles on mine, I hate it. It's just so dang loud.

In the same boat. Wish I had gone with a t4mount style turbo, lot wider range of turbo options out there.

TERRCO

Reaction score
So what are your plans for the truck? Daily driver? Work truck? I got over a hundred thousand miles on my 38R and It doesn't seem to be very loud. I think I would do compounds with the 38R before going to a T4 unless my plans were flat out racing or pulling. My truck is a dedicated work truck plus personal on the weekends. I have been running stage 2s for maybe 4 years now. Just my .02¢

DocBar

Reaction score
wanna sell that 38r?
I might once I get my copmpounds installed.

So what are your plans for the truck? Daily driver? Work truck? I got over a hundred thousand miles on my 38R and It doesn't seem to be very loud. I think I would do compounds with the 38R before going to a T4 unless my plans were flat out racing or pulling. My truck is a dedicated work truck plus personal on the weekends. I have been running stage 2s for maybe 4 years now. Just my .02¢
I thought long and hard about doing compounds with a 38R and decided not to. It can be done successfully, but there are too many options with better results with different HP turbos. The 38R is a gooddrop-in replacement, but a T4 has so many different options. I would just bite the bullet and go that route instead of limiting myself or having to buy the T4 mount and turbo after having already dropped the $$ for the 38R(this is hindsight because it's actually what I've done.).

Rupp250

Reaction score
Should have posted it in the first post, I live in Cali so it has to pass smog, which includes a visual(doesn't really matter with my current smog guy but you never know what will happen) and they scan obdII for codes. Can I delete the pedestal junk and still have it pass? Not too sure I can get a t4 mount setup to pass.

It is a 2000 and currently it has intake, exhaust, tuning from Gearhead. Plan is to go to a 238/80 or 238/100, whatever the tuner feels is best.

Priority goes towing 10k toyhauler, weekend toy, dd. I have a company vehicle.

DocBar

Reaction score
Should have posted it in the first post, I live in Cali so it has to pass smog, which includes a visual(doesn't really matter with my current smog guy but you never know what will happen) and they scan obdII for codes. Can I delete the pedestal junk and still have it pass? Not too sure I can get a t4 mount setup to pass.

It is a 2000 and currently it has intake, exhaust, tuning from Gearhead. Plan is to go to a 238/80 or 238/100, whatever the tuner feels is best.

Priority goes towing 10k toyhauler, weekend toy, dd. I have a company vehicle.
Where in Cali? I'm in Long Beach/ Huntington Beach right now.

Rupp250

Reaction score
Just a little north of ya Doc. Up by SF bay area, Livermore to be exact.

Rupp250

Reaction score
Anyone know if I can do the ebpv delete and not throw a code on a Cali truck. If so the I will just get the hi flow outlet and do it all at once.

bruce

Reaction score
You can get a piece to plug in the harness from dfuser. If you leave it unplugged it doesnt set the cel. Just sets a soft code.

Rupp250

Reaction score
OK thanks I forgot about the resistor trick. I wonder if it even has a soft code if that will be enough to not allow it to pass Cali stupid smog

Latest posts

Members online