Absolutely zero traction

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone uses tire chains these days???

I do.
Only to get me out my driveway and down the mountain to the main roads.
Un-plowed and improperly graded (crown banked down the hill, instead of into it) gravel road, they are the only thing that will get me in and out.
Got a set of double multi-ring skidder chains and trimmed them down to fit.

Attachments

• DualMulti.jpg
    DualMulti.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 83

mandkole

Reaction score
^^nice. Not a lot of good pairs of chains anymore. Then there's those cable chains with the little wire rings fly off and cause flats after the weather leaves.

oilburner

Reaction score
I used tire chains everyday in Montana. Here in Utah I only use them at work or up in the mountains when I'm lion hunting. They are always in my toolbox for sure though.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
^^nice. Not a lot of good pairs of chains anymore. Then there's those cable chains with the little wire rings fly off and cause flats after the weather leaves.

I'd rather run around with a thick coating of astroglide on a bald set of summers than cable chains.
Watched a lady try and pull out of her driveway onto an icy street last winter and ended up wrapping the side of her Subaru around a telephone pole. Apparently cable chains make for decent ice skates when your wheels are perpendicular to a hill.

Big&dirty

Reaction score
I never run a tune in winter !!!! Goodyear duratracs on a cclb and watch the trottle . Plow truck has bfg allterains good in snow but again no tune and 2 ton of salt lol

sniper_101

Reaction score
Even my aired down Duratracs don't do crap in 2wd if it's cold enough and/or the snow is packed. 500-1500lbs of bed weight make it far better in almost all winter conditions. A locker in the front and rear would be ideal for my needs.

A narrower tire will cut through snow better, but provide less floatation/higher compaction, great for ice and hard packed snow. If I had stock 250-270 width tires they'd work far better in the snow we have here than my wide 325's.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So I regret anything bad I said about bfg... I've been in high lock all day and I've been blasting through 3 foot drifts
20140105_112215_zpsde5fb46f.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The roads are so empty I've been doing double the limits every where with foot and half on the street

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I was cruising today as well. Pulled me a Jeep (on bald BFG ATs) out of a ditch. Who drives a 4x4 on bald tires? Hit both lockers and did some drift busting in the back 40... can't even see the tracks where I went down the hill. Real test comes tomorrow... see if my fuel don't gel in the sub-zero. Traction... not an issue.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
We're in emergency status up here, how are you guys down there?

dsberman94

Reaction score
in about an inch of snow people were doing 5 mph on the highway. i was doing that easily in 2wd. flipped my fancy switch and was going 50 and flying past people. i had a whole 2-3 lanes of emptiness to myself. took me the usual amount of time to get home. took those people an extra 2 hours. the fun part was when there was a huge empty spot in traffic so i took it out of 4 wheel drive and blew a couple donuts in the middle of a highway put it back in 4x4 and drove away.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
We're in emergency status up here, how are you guys down there?

Same. Fixing to run some supplies over to the church. We sheltered 61 people last night, mostly stranded people from off I-65. Haven't been out since last night, really hoping she'll start in -13 with -40 wind chill weather.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
in about an inch of snow people were doing 5 mph on the highway. i was doing that easily in 2wd. flipped my fancy switch and was going 50 and flying past people. i had a whole 2-3 lanes of emptiness to myself. took me the usual amount of time to get home. took those people an extra 2 hours. the fun part was when there was a huge empty spot in traffic so i took it out of 4 wheel drive and blew a couple donuts in the middle of a highway put it back in 4x4 and drove away.

Those people you passed probably saw your donut tracks and thought you lost control... :pointlaugh:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
had to talk two buddies through de-gelling their fuel today in their 7.3's... told them to run Stanadyne year round.. both had straight fuel....

Latest posts

Members online