AC reboot...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Anyone ever done this?

I am replacing the condenser, the drier and the orifices. Obviously the AC is now out of the system thanks to a hole in the condenser...

Looked at a vacuum pump from Harbor freight but I'm just not sure how to do the whole thing?

Should I just install the parts and then take it somewhere?

co04cobra

Reaction score
By the time you buy the gauges, R-134a, and the vacuum pump it might be easier to just get it recharged at a shop.

Now, if you are going to be doing it frequently might be worth the investment.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Parts are $200... I have the gauges, but I don't have the vacuum pump. So there is another $100-$150 bucks...

co04cobra

Reaction score
To do it "correctly" you need a scale also. Not a huge amount of money for everything, but not something you'll probably use every day either.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ya, I doubt I would use it again for years. I hate paying for stuff I can do, but I have a shop full of tools I rarely use anymore.

Whats it cost ball park to recharge the system?

co04cobra

Reaction score
That will probably vary from shop to shop. R134a has been down in cost through this past summer so that should help.

System holds 2lbs 4oz iirc. Take roughly an hour to vacuum down and recharge. Really should not get out of the $100-$150 range.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Might be able to get one of my refer guys to do it for me if I get stuck on another food store.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
If you buy a vacuum pump you need a decent one that will pull a good vacuum. You need to get all the moister out. So I wouldn't waste your money on some cheap pos.

space_heretic

Reaction score
If I remember right it's two ounces of pag per hard part removed. Don't forget some ac solvent to clean out the lines. Get the pag and solvent from napa. It's a rather simple process. Make sure all the I rings are serviceable and to replace orifice tube and receiver/dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Freightshaker

Reaction score
From other post you have made I am sure you do not have a lot of free time but maybe if you buy the tools you can pay for them with a couple jobs. I use 30lb jugs of 134a and charge people $8-$10 a lb for AC work. I come out ahead on the jug even after I take care of family vehicles for free. Its just a thought.

If you weren't half a country away I would help you out for a beer and shootin the chit lol.

zilla68

Reaction score
you will have to clean the system with the solvent, blow it out with nitrogen (not compressed air), I'd replace all the o rings while your there, pull a vac, recharge and your done.
Not a big deal, but most people don't do all the steps.

I had a lumina as a DD years ago and the a/c didn't work. Took it to a gm tech's house and he pulled the compressor fully charged, threw the new one on there, pulled the vaccum, filled it up with about 3 cans, and it blew hard and cold for years.
He said at the dealership they don't all the stuff your supposed to, but for a tech with as many years as he did, I considered him a hack after that, but it did work well.

Latest posts

Members online