Adding a sun / moon roof.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have searched for some time now with no luck and now have a question.
I am still looking for a 6.4L and I am finding a lot of nice trucks but no moon roof. So I wonder about putting one in.
I spoke to ford and they said they do not do it in shop but have a company they send it to.
Has anyone every got one installed?
Any major problems, leaking?

Or do I just need to make sure it has moon roof and stay away from after market.

Thanks in advance.
Jay Mott.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I'd like to get one but it seemed when I worked at dealerships every sfter market one ended up leaking

UGH, WTF I mean why have they not come up with a good kit! Its crazy to me, I see these trucks and they say loaded with every option and then in fine print no sun/moon roof. lol.

pog

Reaction score
are you sure they dont have rear entertainment? trucks with that wont have sunroofs.

Zmann

Reaction score
I was told it was a grand
my neighbor has one He thought it was OEM and one day when it failed He took it in under warranty the tech fixed it and wanted to charge him since warranty denied it because it was aftermarket AKA a non OEM part
so He got the repair for free but anyway his looks perfect

I looked also I think you need a overhead console headliner and roof kt

all the trucks are set up for it sheet metal wise as you notice the lack of ridges in the area

imelmo

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have searched for some time now with no luck and now have a question.
I am still looking for a 6.4L and I am finding a lot of nice trucks but no moon roof. So I wonder about putting one in.
I spoke to ford and they said they do not do it in shop but have a company they send it to.
Has anyone every got one installed?
Any major problems, leaking?

Or do I just need to make sure it has moon roof and stay away from after market.

Thanks in advance.
Jay Mott.

I had one put in my orange truck. It was about $1200 iirc and was done in Houston by the place that does them for the dealerships. Mine ended up leaking slightly after about a year but they adjusted it and it was fine. That was at 800+ hp though and lots of drag racing passes so I'm sure it got flexed from that some. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Buddy has one out of his 06. All OEM. All you would need is a headliner. Not sure what he wants for it but I'm sure he'd let it go pretty cheap

89xj

Reaction score
If I was to add one, i would buy a whole roof off a wrecked truck and weld the whole skin on. I'm going to be Doing one similar to that way when I add one to my ex cab. But I will need to be doing something different as the roof from a crew cab obviously won't work on my ex cab.

It sounds like ALOT of work. But a crew to crew skin wouldn't be terrible to do or any good body shop can do it no problem. Be pricey tho.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I had one put in my orange truck. It was about $1200 iirc and was done in Houston by the place that does them for the dealerships. Mine ended up leaking slightly after about a year but they adjusted it and it was fine. That was at 800+ hp though and lots of drag racing passes so I'm sure it got flexed from that some. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Awesome to hear their are some who have done this. I have still yet to find a truck but to speed up the process I am looking at getting one without if its a good deal and then get one put in.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather search for one, I'd just prefer it to be factory done.

We had a truck at work w/ an aftermarket unit and it didn't work, and the headliner was sagging(but I think it had a DVD player in it), the color didn't quite match either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
I have had a few installed and they all leaked :doh: so no more for me..

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Well thanks guys, its hard to think its not worth it. But o well guess I will keep searching.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

beanz15t

Reaction score
Well todays weather is forecasting rain and water in your headliner with water also leaking down your pillar as well as getting into your dome light.... So don't forget your umbrella and wet suit for your commute to work.. Thanks ford factory sun roof!!

Now that I got my complaining outta the way here's what I've come to find thus far.. Lowered the front half of my head liner to ensure the drain lines were actually connected and they where connected and not leaking from there however the kink on both sides from the plastic clips in place to secure them were doing a great kink job.. Continued to snoop more and noticed in the front center of the roof was a fair amount of rust, unsure how that got there then checked down the sides and noticed small gaps between the metal material with a white grease in place to keep the "seal" as well as large openings on the sides about midway.. So as the gutters fill and the drain lines don't drain and u take a turn all that water will successfully make its way out the side openings onto the headliner to then continue down your pillars and on to the wire bundles by the kick panels leaving a nice rust trail for u..

Solution drop the head liner and get a good amount of silicone and clean what rust I can and go crazy with silicone.. Jus though g t I'd salary what I have ran across and I'll post pics after the headliner drop.

Atsah

Reaction score
Well that sucks.. When I bought my SHO, I had a hard time finding one without a moon roof but I did succeed and I'm glad I waited..

beanz15t

Reaction score
I really don't like the sunroof but account holder aka wife did so can't complain too much if everything else on the truck i love, I think it's the best compromise ever.. Lol

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
The one option my truck have that I severely regretted not waiting til I found one. It just seemed like there weren't that may 6.4s with the Lariat Ultimate package.

I've been curious about adding one, but I don't think its worth the risk.

beanz15t

Reaction score
who thought a small leak could do so much..

After looking over everything I must say it looks like many corners were cut when it came to the design of this sun roof..:(

Attachments

• DSC_0112.jpg
    DSC_0112.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_0129.jpg
    DSC_0129.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0122.jpg
    DSC_0122.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 38

fine69

Reaction score
My truck came with the moon roof because it's a Lariat Ultimate. I could care less that it has one, I never open it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.