Adding factory fog lights

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've got an XLT truck that didn't have the fogs factory, wanting to put them on now. I've got the lights and brackets on the way now, but what else is needed? Looks like I need the headlight switch assembly? Anyone have a P/N for this? I've heard these are no longer available, is this true? What about the wiring? Is there a harness that should be purchased or is there by some stroke of luck a harness already on the truck? I'm assuming it wont be that easy, but you never know.

Thanks!

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
you will need a fog light relay... and the switch... Rockauto has the switch under the head lamp switch, its even motorcraft... choose the one with foglights.. its 51.00 and the relay is there as well under elec switchs and relays

Mdub707

Reaction score
Nice! Then Just wire it up myself, or would you recommend trying to get the factory wiring harness? I really would rather do plug and play... I hate wiring crap up. I can do it, it just never looks pretty.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ordered up the headlight switch from rock auto. What relay is needed? This is turning into more of a project than I thought! haha

Agjake11

Reaction score
may sound dumb but did you check to see if the harness is already there for the lights to plug into?

i know they started doing that around 02 on most vehicles to cut costs and my 04 had all the wires in the cab and plugs for the rear power window all it needed was the motor and switch

Mdub707

Reaction score
I have not checked that yet, I will do so.

F-250-owner, lol that makes sense, I should be able to get a relay anywhere though, not a big deal on that.

It would be nice if the wiring harness was already there. I highly doubt it is. I just had the bumper off the truck not long ago, don't remember seeing it, though I wasn't looking for it really either.

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Did you get this done? The PO of my truck took them off to run a ranch hand bumper and I just got some to put back on. I have the dash switch but haven't found the wires for it yet behind the bumper. I was going to ask the guy down the street if I can look under his 07 to see where they run.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I did not still waiting on the fogs to show up that I bought. Little bit of a shipping error. I have the switch in from rock auto. If you look at your neighbors let me know.

CCRICE

Reaction score
I can try to take a pic under my bumped when I get to work for you guys to try and reference. You just need to see where the pigtails for them come from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06_Whitebull

Reaction score
Not sure about Mdub, but for me the harness from the dash or relay should already be there, I just can't seem to find it on the frame rail. If there weren't so many wires and it all being wrapped I would just trace it from the switch, but that seems like too much work. My neighbor is out of town this week, won't be back till Sat and his truck is in the garage or I would just go over and crawl under it.......So, if you are able to snap a pic where the pigtails from the lights plug into that would be great. :toast:

Chip

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ccrice, exactly. Not sure if the wiring is there already or not. Don't even know what I'm looking for or where its coming from.

CCRICE

Reaction score
That gray connector is attacked to the wheel well plastic, the harness that hooks to that runs up over the front of the frame and straight into the fog lights. Does this help at all?

CCRICE

Reaction score
a6935998-4cd3-cc36.jpg

a6935998-4d10-bc19.jpg

CCRICE

Reaction score
I would assume that you guys have the connector there from factory since it run into a huge nest of a harness and mounts inside the wheel well, and that you could pick the fog light harness up at ford for pretty cheap.. It's a 3 connector harness and not that difficult.. Does this help at all?

Latest posts

Members online