Advice on Barder stage 2

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
I've had my stage 2 on for about 2,000 and I've reached the point the whistle is becoming unbearable unless I crank the radio up, which leads to sore head.

I love the power it brings but the in cab noise is killer. And I find myself missing the bottom end power. Thinking I may have went with a turbo that doesn't fit my driving style.

Would it be worth while to modify this with different wheels, or rebuild and balance my factory turbo and swap.

I'm leaning towards swapping and selling the barder.

Opinions?

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
U could put the 13 blade turbine wheel in and that will deton the sound... I feel ur pain - I had(have) a kc stage 2 and it got annoying for sure hence why II have a non vgt. Now my truck sounds like a "real sounding" truck if ya will

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
U could put the 13 blade turbine wheel in and that will deton the sound... I feel ur pain - I had(have) a kc stage 2 and it got annoying for sure hence why II have a non vgt. Now my truck sounds like a "real sounding" truck if ya will
Will a 13 wheel make that big of a difference in sound? What about power changes?
Put another turbo infront of it! :D
Always that one guy with deep pockets! :D
Is it while driving? Or just idling that it bugs you?
I have tunes for open veins at idle, but driving is where I go insane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

KCTurbos

Reaction score
You can get an "open vane" idle tune and it will help with the noise at idle, but will not change anything while driving

We offer a KC stage 1.5 turbo that has almost the exact same specs as a stage 2 except it has a 13 blade turbine wheel which is much quieter... it will have a little less top end power, but it won't be very noticeable with stock injectors.

Also adding a muffler will cut down on the noise... but not eliminate it. (but it looks like you already have one)

You could switch to a non-vgt turbo... they have much less whistle.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Will a 13 wheel make that big of a difference in sound? What about power changes?
Put another turbo infront of it! :D
Always that one guy with deep pockets! :D
Is it while driving? Or just idling that it bugs you?
I have tunes for open veins at idle, but driving is where I go insane
You can get an "open vane" idle tune and it will help with the noise at idle, but will not change anything while driving

We offer a KC stage 1.5 turbo that has almost the exact same specs as a stage 2 except it has a 13 blade turbine wheel which is much quieter... it will have a little less top end power, but it won't be very noticeable with stock injectors.

Also adding a muffler will cut down on the noise... but not eliminate it. (but it looks like you already have one)

You could switch to a non-vgt turbo... they have much less whistle.

With the 13 blade, would the bottom end be affected any?

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
I've had my stage 2 on for about 2,000 and I've reached the point the whistle is becoming unbearable unless I crank the radio up, which leads to sore head.

I love the power it brings but the in cab noise is killer. And I find myself missing the bottom end power. Thinking I may have went with a turbo that doesn't fit my driving style.

Would it be worth while to modify this with different wheels, or rebuild and balance my factory turbo and swap.

I'm leaning towards swapping and selling the barder.

Opinions?

Where are you located? Is your truck an early or late '04?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Stage 2 but your statement about the loss of low end power has my interest. Curious what tune you are using (Edit: Looney Fuel?). Assuming you are not using a FICM tuner.

Last edited:

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
Where are you located? Is your truck an early or late '04?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Stage 2 but your statement about the loss of low end power has my interest. Curious what tune you are using (Edit: Looney Fuel?). Assuming you are not using a FICM tuner.
I'm in south central PA and I have a late 04 build.

I'm not running any ficm tuning, but I have been playing around with different ecu tunes. Vivian's tune had the lightswitch effect, with the bottom end being more stock like. It comes alive once you get to the range where the power hits.

I switched to Tony Wildman Extreme tune and while it still has a lightswitch effect, it comes on earlier. And the low end feels closer to my stock turbo/injector with race tunes. That tune itself made it better to drive, except it breaks loose easier than the looney tune did.

I had srl+ in and it done well. The power was linear came on smooth. I did notice the trans tuning needed a slight adjustment, but the fuel end was great.

Different tunes helped with the bottom end in my truck. And I've also adjusted my driving style around the turbo which has made it easier to get the truck to do what I want. But it's not as simple like stock was.

I'm hoping Monday I can get James on the line and see about 13 blade wheels. But I'm unsure how that'll change the turbo itself.

Gadgetguru

Reaction score
I'm in south central PA and I have a late 04 build.

I'm not running any ficm tuning, but I have been playing around with different ecu tunes. Vivian's tune had the lightswitch effect, with the bottom end being more stock like. It comes alive once you get to the range where the power hits.

I switched to Tony Wildman Extreme tune and while it still has a lightswitch effect, it comes on earlier. And the low end feels closer to my stock turbo/injector with race tunes. That tune itself made it better to drive, except it breaks loose easier than the looney tune did.

I had srl+ in and it done well. The power was linear came on smooth. I did notice the trans tuning needed a slight adjustment, but the fuel end was great.

Different tunes helped with the bottom end in my truck. And I've also adjusted my driving style around the turbo which has made it easier to get the truck to do what I want. But it's not as simple like stock was.

I'm hoping Monday I can get James on the line and see about 13 blade wheels. But I'm unsure how that'll change the turbo itself.

I don't think Wildman X (and from what I've heard some of Vivian's tunes) are going to do you any favors with the low end. With Wildman X, it's basically all fuel and very little turbo until I would hit 32% throttle at the "light switch". Sounds like SRL+ worked well for you though. My PHP 200x and WPE White Rain are both awesome at the low end. I had a couple issues with WR though.

Kbuterbaugh04

Reaction score
I don't think Wildman X (and from what I've heard some of Vivian's tunes) are going to do you any favors with the low end. With Wildman X, it's basically all fuel and very little turbo until I would hit 32% throttle at the "light switch". Sounds like SRL+ worked well for you though. My PHP 200x and WPE White Rain are both awesome at the low end. I had a couple issues with WR though.
Wildman and Vivian had the dame affect, it's different parameters in which they showed.

I got my php tune, no vgt hiss at idle, to finally take to the truck so I'm going to run it for awhile. And see how it does. I have 4 total tunes for the turbo. This will be the 4th tune I've tried and I'll see how it does.

I love white rain on my stock setup, even though the shifts seemed pretty firm.

Sent while hiding in a corner.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.