Advice on Batmowheel install

bootcamp

Reaction score
I picked up a 68mm Batmowheel for my 68mm RCD powermax and need to get it installed. I can do the removal of the turbo and installation of the turbo that's not the problem, problem is, I haven't been into one of these turbos before and don't know exactly how to remove the wheel.
I dont want to mess this thing up since it was pretty pricey. Can some of you more experience guys provide me with some of your wisdom on how to remove and install this batmowheel? RCD said they can do it for me if I ship it back to them, but that will cost a small fortune, but would still be cheaper than destroying the wheel, but I know I can change it out with a little bit of guidance.:D

Thanks in Advance,

Devilizhtorque

Reaction score
Just unbolt the front cover and use a deep socket to hold the the turbine and spin off and spin on also its reverse thread just so you know

1fastTRX

Reaction score
If its the stock powermax turbine then I don't believe a socket will work. Its just a round nub. Will RCD rebalance it once they swap wheels? I know shipping a turbo is expensive. I would swap wheels on my stock turbo, but it had a hex head for the turbine side. My current one doesn't have a hex head so the swap seems a little tougher.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Cold Roller

Reaction score
I don't believe a socket will work. Its just a round nub.

If it doesn't have something to bite on the turbine end, you will need to open the turbine section and use a strap to hold the turbine wheel at the ridge.

Torque is 100 in-lb (old) or 20 in-lb and then tighten another 30 degrees (Garrett) with a heated comp wheel. Other turbo companies say 90 degrees. The reality is it will tighten under normal use as well as you build boost. The easiest way is to just use 8.5 lb-ft. You will find it spins on nice to the stop, then just tighten it. If you over-torque it, it will stretch/pull the threads and not "spin" off or on as easily.

Devilizhtorque

Reaction score
Haven't done a powermax so if it has a nub my bad know the few stock ones I have done and when I redid my Vgt SS I was able to use a 7\8s 6 and 12 point

bootcamp

Reaction score
I do know it has what appears to be a set screw at the end of it with a little bit of blue loctite on it, so this might also provide a problem will more than likely send it back to RCD and let them tackle it.

Derkperk

Reaction score
Talk to Jared at RCD. I just ordered their billet 6 blade and plan on sending mine back for the install. He told me he has seen a few snapped shafts from DIY installs.

3brorce

Reaction score
The man already bought the wheel. He wasn't asking if he should use it or not.

To the op, I would look for a local turbo shop and have it done there. If you are lucky they may even have a balancing machine.
Hmm, didnt know that you couldnt return it or sell it outright.

skobiak

Reaction score
You're right he could. Out of curiosity, why should it not be used? I honestly want to know. A lot of people have that attitude towards drop in wheels and I don't usually see much explanation.

3brorce

Reaction score
You're right he could. Out of curiosity, why should it not be used? I honestly want to know. A lot of people have that attitude towards drop in wheels and I don't usually see much explanation.

Because they like to blow up. Nick named the "blowmowheel" for a reason.

turbotibbo

Reaction score
I say do it your self nothing is gonna blow up its a simple process just follow the advise that was given , very easy to do , good luck

bootcamp

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, I did find a place over in Beaumont that will swap it out and balance it for me. There is no doubt that its a simple process and I can do it myself but when he said they would swap it out and balance it for $90, I dont think I could go wrong with that.

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score

There have been several guys that have had batmowheels break off and destroy turbos and more.

Latest posts

Members online