aftermarket push rod installation question

slc dzl

Reaction score
I have a engine that I am studding, I pulled the heads and had them gone through and added Rcd valve springs. Now I have installed the heads and put Rcd push rods in.
Now my question is how important is the valve train push rod procedure as instructed by the VT 365 Diesel Engine Service Manual?

ford rules

Reaction score
I just put mine in with no procedure at all and have no issues with about 1000 miles on it.

slc dzl

Reaction score
A buddy who worked for international told me about it but I'm not sure the proper steps,
but you clock the the dampner to the 6 o clock position and install 1- 3 -7 -8 and rotate to 12 o clock 2-4-5-6 or something like that.

I don't see the need but I figured someone would know the actual procedure.

MorganY

Reaction score
A buddy who worked for international told me about it but I'm not sure the proper steps,
but you clock the the dampner to the 6 o clock position and install 1- 3 -7 -8 and rotate to 12 o clock 2-4-5-6 or something like that.

I don't see the need but I figured someone would know the actual procedure.

It's to take the pressure off the valvetrain, so there is minimal lift on the valves. Just make sure you run the valvetrain and carrier to head down before you run the stud nuts past finger tight, you don't want the fulcrum plate twisting for obvious reasons.

As what the Ford service manual says for the 6.0, "Rotate the crankshaft until the locating damper is at the 6 o clock position" With no particular sequence, due make sure the damper is at 6 o clock.

The 6.4 has a specific sequence.

I just set a bank to BDC, and torque everything down to the first stage, move to the other side and repeat. Once the first stage is complete on both, I rotate the crank enough times to make sure everything is operating correctly on the valvetrain.

Nice and easy, same procedure with aftermarket drop in pushrods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

ford rules

Reaction score
Seems kinda pointless. Just put them in, and make sure they are seated correctly.

This is what i did with no issues, i did read the ford sequence on how to do it and it seamed pointless to me so i decided not to. If it was on a customer truck i would probably follow it just to say i did but it was my personal truck.

what a mess

Reaction score
when we did my heads we bent a push rod on start up not sure how but we did it but we took her out hammered her strait and ran it for a week ! that's winning! haha

ford rules

Reaction score
What steve said^ ive seen it before also. Just bar the motor over by hand a few times to make sure everything is seated.