Aftermarket stock looking turbos??

jdgleason

Reaction score
What's false? The turbo I'm speaking of is their atmosphere. They very well could have changed it up since the introduction, I don't know. I just know that two years ago when I talked to them, that's what I was told. Maybe Premier told you different? As far as numbers go, they make *close* to the same power but the numbers I've seen out of the tow powers are always in the lead. There is a reason why Tadd went to the precision wheel...
:whs: Tadd used to use the same K31 wheel until he figured out that he could make more power and move a lot more cfm by changing up the wheel design. A few fireside chats with precision, a little math, and Voila, today's tow powers.
SEABEE... does just the II atmosphere make the same as just the elite atmosphere? I hope the price is awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Make the same....? Power? No. That's why Elite went to a different wheel design from precision. The price is awesome, I guess, but not the same quality.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
What's false? The turbo I'm speaking of is their atmosphere. They very well could have changed it up since the introduction, I don't know. I just know that two years ago when I talked to them, that's what I was told. Maybe Premier told you different? As far as numbers go, they make *close* to the same power but the numbers I've seen out of the tow powers are always in the lead. There is a reason why Tadd went to the precision wheel...

They are rebuilt they don't just slap a wheel in there and send it out.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
SEABEE... does just the II atmosphere make the same as just the elite atmosphere? I hope the price is awesome!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I can't honestly answer that being I haven't seen any side by side results of just the LP turbo swapped on either. I can how ever say the results will be very similar given the specs.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I can't honestly answer that being I haven't seen any side by side results of just the LP turbo swapped on either. I can how ever say the results will be very similar given the specs.

I'd be interested to see how you came to this conclusion since wheel diameter really doesn't dictate what it will produce Lb per minute wise

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Feel free to call Industrial or I can take your order for one and you can do a comparison of your own.

No need to, I already know what they do in comparisson. Which is why I stated earlier that the industrial turbo may be *close* but the tow power atmo out preforms what they use. This isn't my first stroll in the park with turbochargers but I get the feeling it is for you. When I get a chance this evening I'll try and post up more on my question posed to you earlier

Last edited:

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
No need to, I already know what they do in comparisson. Which is why I stated earlier that the industrial turbo may be *close* but the tow power atmo out does it every time. This isn't my first stroll in the park with turbochargers but I get the feeling it is for you. When I get a chance this evening I'll try and post up more on my question posed to you earlier

Never did I say they were the same, not my first rodeo either kiddo. But you just keep humping that leg maybe you'll get a bone some day k :thumbsup:.

Offer still stands to take your order on a II LP turbo though if you want to try one out on your 6.4. I'll give you a dealer price.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score

Never did I say they were the same, not my first rodeo either kiddo. But you just keep humping that leg maybe you'll get a bone some day k :thumbsup:.

Offer still stands to take your order on a II LP turbo though if you want to try one out on your 6.4. I'll give you a dealer price.

That's you quoted above, saying they would be similar based on specs, no?

If reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, allow me to re-iterate that the testing has already been done and that's why there is a new wheel in the TP turbos. K31 wheel was great back in the day. I use a modified version on my race truck and i love it, BUT there is PROVEN to be better out there. I can't be much clearer then that.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
That's you quoted above, saying they would be similar based on specs, no?

If reading comprehension isn't your strong suite, allow me to re-iterate that the testing has already been done and that's why there is a new wheel in the TP turbos. K31 wheel was great back in the day. I use a modified version on my race truck and i love it, BUT there is PROVEN to be better out there. I can't be much clearer then that.

So what your saying is you don't understand the difference between similar and the same. Gottcha, there also not the same price or should I say similar price not sure which you understand better .

And whens the last time you have looked at a II turbo ? Like I stated my offer stands to get one ordered for your 6.4, just let me know.

Last edited:

Strokin6.4

Reaction score
ok maybe you guys can answer this one, II atmo vs Batmowheels stock turboes. Which do you think gets more out of it hp wise?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
ok maybe you guys can answer this one, II atmo vs Batmowheels stock turboes. Which do you think gets more out of it hp wise?

The II or the Tow power would be a better choice over the drop in batmo, the drop in batmo makes a difference but not what you would see from a fully upgraded charger.

idkillinit

Reaction score
Do a high pressure batmo and the 2 lp. Same price as just lp from elite and I'm sure same or better results and you have a new wheel in the hp. I don't see how 1mm makes that much of a dif in lb per min. But I guess .039 of an in makes a huge dif.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Do a high pressure batmo and the 2 lp. Same price as just lp from elite and I'm sure same or better results and you have a new wheel in the hp. I don't see how 1mm makes that much of a dif in lb per min. But I guess .039 of an in makes a huge dif.

Actually the II turbo has the same inducer as the tow-power, they are both 71mm. The Tow-Power turbo compressor wheel is much different than the II wheel. The wheels were designed for much different purposes and do different things, especially when used as atmosphere turbos. To make the claim that one setup is better and you don't even know the sizes is a pretty large claim. Do you have any data to backup your claims? Why not just say, "I personally don't want Elite parts and would rather buy from MPD. Past that I have no data about the actual turbo performance." I could respect that, I don't respect opinion pushed off as fact or data.

Last edited:

idkillinit

Reaction score
Designed to do dif things??? The 2 turbo is designed to move air. What's the tow power designed to do. Flow water?? I never said I do t want to buy from elite. I never said I would rather buy from mpd. Those are assumptions sir. I simply said I would rather do the 2 atmo and the batmo wheel in the HP for the same price as the lp. It would make more sence to me personally to have to modified turbos than one no matter how special the compressor wheel design is.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Designed to do dif things??? The 2 turbo is designed to move air. What's the tow power designed to do. Flow water?? I never said I do t want to buy from elite. I never said I would rather buy from mpd. Those are assumptions sir. I simply said I would rather do the 2 atmo and the batmo wheel in the HP for the same price as the lp. It would make more sence to me personally to have to modified turbos than one no matter how special the compressor wheel design is.

You do understand that compressor wheels are designed with several variables such as pressure ratios, shaft speeds etc in mind, correct? It's not as simple as hey! Here's a big wheel! Let's put it in this turbo for more power!

As for flowing water, boat propellers are designed very similarly. There are props for low end performance, there are props designed for speed etc.

Ipkyss

Reaction score

I still believe that there is no need for a HP turbo upgrade with the 71mm LP turbo. There has not been any proof shown yet that there is any benifit to upgrading the HP turbo with a stock or 71mm low pressure. That is why I was willing to try out the Elite 71 before there was any reviews by anyone at all. I would actually like to see a dyno with the 71mm LP vs the tow-powers.

There is no way I would pull apart my HP turbo and add a different wheel without having everything balanced. Can you, sure. Is it a bad idea, might not even matter. But I would not take that chance.

4tonGT40

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering what aftermarket turbos guys are running that still look stock? And what kind of performance do you get out of them? Thanks

Industrial injection also makes a very nice set of stock appearance turbos got them in 4-5 days. Give me a call for pricing and turn around time if your interested.

Fast-6.0

Reaction score
Designed to do dif things??? The 2 turbo is designed to move air. What's the tow power designed to do. Flow water??

The compressor wheel that was originally used in the II turbos (and what I understand as to still be used) is from a turbo called the K31. This is a Billet 7 blade compressor wheel. It is a good compressor wheel. We actually used it originally in our Tow-Powers. The wheel currently used in EDE Tow-Powers is a Billet 6 Blade compressor wheel made by Precision Turbo. It has a 71mm inducer (same as the II & K31) but a much smaller exducer. When Precision turbo designed this wheel we decided to try it out and I was so pleased with how it ran over the K31 wheel that we stopped using the K31 wheel at that time.

When I referenced that they were designed to do different things what I meant is that each wheel will was designed to produce maximum airflow and efficiency at different ranges. The K31 wheel is designed for a high pressure ratio (high boost). Typically 7 blade wheels perform better at high pressure ratios. 6 blade wheels typically are better for lower pressure ratios. If the wheels were exactly the same as each other in size other than 6 vs 7 blade then the K31 would most likely perform better as a single (running more boost/pressure ratio) than the 6 blade. Since in a compound setup each turbo runs a lower pressure ratio the ideal setup is one that has a compressor wheel that is designed for a lower pressure ratio. This is one reason the 6 blade wheel we use performs better.

Since the wheels are not the same size as the above reference, there is another reason that the wheel we use is better, which is that the exducer being smaller on the Tow-powers allows more total airflow. Since the atmosphere turbo is responsible for delivering all the airflow (in a compound setup) then it makes sense to use a wheel that flows more for the same equivalent size and pressure ratio.

I never said I do t want to buy from elite. I never said I would rather buy from mpd. Those are assumptions sir.

You are right. This was an assumption on my part based on most of your posts. I apologize if I mistook your stance.

I simply said I would rather do the 2 atmo and the batmo wheel in the HP for the same price as the lp. It would make more sence to me personally to have to modified turbos than one no matter how special the compressor wheel design is.

Since the most important turbo in a compound setup is the atmosphere turbo, most turbo gurus would agree that you should spend the largest portion of your money on the atmosphere turbo (if power and lower egt's are your goal). Your above plan will work but not better than the Tow-Power atmosphere since the total airflow will still be less (regardless of the batmo hp wheel).

I am not bashing on your ideas I am just trying to inform others. Since many people are looking for answers to this question (what turbo for my 6.4?) I am trying to clarify things. I hate to see people spend money on something that doesn't perform as they expected. Is the precision wheel worth the extra cost? That depends on your goals and budget. Is a 6.4L worth the additional cost over a 6.0L? That is up to the end user and his budget. If you are going to spend the same amount of money why buy the 6.0L and upgrade it when you can just buy the faster 6.4L. The same approach can be placed on this turbo discussion.

The Precision wheel is the result of technological advances that have been made in the many years since the K31 wheel was designed. Just as the 6.4L is to the 6.0L.

Latest posts

Members online