Air Bags - Which Brand?

mortal798

Reaction score
I am looking into these as well for my truck. It sits down a little too low with my new camper. Which is the easiest kit to install?

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
Looks like I need to get a set again now too. I hauled a huge load of mulch today and it was a 1/2" from the bump stops.

1BADF350

Reaction score
here is a picture looking up first you see the bottom plate then the bag then the top plate. On the Excursion, I welded the 1/4 plate to the frame since this doesnt use a Turnover ball system.
bag7.jpg

Here is a little closer up of the top plate, I just sheared a piece of 1/4" plate then put a radius cut in the front so it wasnt flat and pointed on the cornners and then bent it on the break 90 degrees. If you have a turn over ball system, you could weld this bracket on the outside frame plates if you want, or you could cut an additional piece of bar stock say 3"x10" and drill 4 bolts through the bar/outside hitch plate/frame I have done it both ways, but drilling through 3 pieces of 1/4" steel 8 times is a PITA..so I welded the bracket on my last hitch plates. Works GREAT!!
bag8.jpg

Top View-I just drilled a 1" hole for the air fitting and a 7/16" hole for the top bolt.
bag9.jpg

If you would like any other pic's just let me know.

1BADF350

Reaction score
Mortal798, The inboard system is the easiest to install, no drilling is needed at all..plus if you ever upgraded to a gooseneck hitch, it would be ready to go. Just order the kit that uses the gooseneck kit.

oneton

Reaction score
i am gonna be needing some bags for my truck soon.i'll keep an eye on this thread

Reaction score
I have used firestone airbags on two different trucks and they have been great. I tow a 44' gooseneck enclosed car hauler that weighs 16-20K LBS depending on what cars are being transported. I know I have had some high pin weights since I have had to air them up to the max psi (100 psi) numerous times. The air compressor and dash gauge switch is a must and worth every penny.

Enoch

Reaction score
Since my truck's lowered and no kit is offered I went to NFanus Air Suspension in Mansfield.
They did quite a bit of fab work and put them on the inside of the leafs, I'm pretty sure that's were the semi's have them.

I'm with delmar the inside guage and switch it is def. worth being able to monitor air pressure in the bags and tank as well as adjust the ride and hieght by a switch.

The bags they set me up with have 150psi max, but since the compressor can only put out 120psi I think I'm pretty safe.

With the air and new KYB Monomax shocks, I love the way it rides now. Plan on beefier sway bars as soon as I can find a good place to pick some up.

Here's a few pics. This is before the new shocks.

F250HelperBags6.png

F250HelperBags2.png

F250HelperBags9.png

Last edited:

jwlandry

Reaction score
I got my firestones put on and after a 500 mile ride with 20psi in them with no trailer I'm happy. I'll report back tomorrow after I pull my camper back home 500 miles

JDub

Reaction score
Got my Hellwig bags on Friday. Didn't have time to install them this weekend, but looks like a nice simple kit. Looks a lot like the Firestones I had on my last truck. Brackets look very similar, bags are different though. Should be installing later this week, contemplating ordering the AirLift Wireless control system for them, would be cool to have the in-cab control without the hassle of routing hoses inside...

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i have the firestones inside the frame rail. i dont want to see the bags, period. they work very well other than i keep figting a leak, my own installer error im sure. i had to modify my 5" exhaust though, and that was a beeyatch. but they work very well, all in cab controls for me, on my upfitter switches and gauge in the glove box.

ADub

Reaction score
I have had both and think the outboard bags are more stable but I never hauled the same load and they were on different trucks.

jwlandry

Reaction score
Well after 9 Hrs of driving with my camper and two construction tool boxes im here to say that the bags was definetly well worth it. On the way to OK. in November the camper had squatted the truck just enough so that it was 1-2'' off the overloads and that make the truck "buck" everytime i hit a bump and the overload stops hit the overloads. Very miserable ride for that long of a time.

Today on the way home I had 40psi in the bags, the camper loaded down and two full Rigid Toolboxes that 2 men would have hell moving in the back of my truck. There was no "bucking" as before, the truck sat 3-4'' off the overloads and just drove and rode better all around.

I too have a 5'' exhaust but as Mikey said he had to modify his, I did not. Im guessing due to the fact that my truck is lifted and his is not. IDK though...

Also Mikey, If you used them pushloc air fittings that come with the kit, be double sure that your hose is cut as square as possible. I had a leak and it was bc the hose was cut on a very slight angle.

Overall, I couldnt be happier, I like the face that the bags are tucked away where you cant see em especially after seeing the trucks getting keyed and what not on here. Last thing i want is for some douche to come by and stab my bags with a pocket knife just bc he has nothing better to do.

Zmann

Reaction score
I'm still leaning towards outside the frame, but still looking around before I make a decision.

outside will help rear sway more than inside
and seem more out of harms way except for the aforementioned pocket knife

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.