air bubbles on dipstick

mandkole

Reaction score
Just based on your description, dont think the two are related. When was the last time the GPs were checked? Last time batteries were changed? Charging system issues? Starter? The oil can get aerated a little--I've seen minor oil bubbles on the stick before and the truck ran fine. Do you always use the same filter/oil?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea, depending on the oil you're using and the bubbles, it could be a cracked pickup tube. That would create a hard start for sure.

The good news is you can very easily check for a cracked pickup tube by jacking the rearend of the truck up 8" or so and try to start the truck. Make note if the truck starts easier and quicker. If the truck fires right off like it should you need to check your pickup tube. The bad news? You have to pull the motor and pan to do so.

Arisley

Reaction score
Don't jump right on that conclusion. That could be it. Check easy stuff first. Check the HPOP res. level before starting the truck. It should be close to the top. There is an Allen head screw on the top of the reservoir, pull it out and stick a small screw driver, hunk of coat hanger, etc. down the hole to check the level.
Could be glow plugs if it is cool. Could be voltage. Could be a lot of things.
Do you have a way to scan for codes and monitor the PCM?

99powerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Batteries are less than year old, gpr is brand new....I was messing around with battery terminals and wires nd seems to spin faster, still think my injectors seals are shot causing the long cranking nd white smoke

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have severe oil airetion. to the point if I drain my oil after a hot run the top layer will be foam. While idling hot sometimes I will have a shake, but definitely not a misfire feel. My stick is always bubbled up.

this adds nothing to this thread useful just sharing I also have aireted oil

A/Ox4

Reaction score
Is this related to your other thread?

Have you checked ICP and IPR yet?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Don't jump right on that conclusion. That could be it. Check easy stuff first. Check the HPOP res. level before starting the truck. It should be close to the top. There is an Allen head screw on the top of the reservoir, pull it out and stick a small screw driver, hunk of coat hanger, etc. down the hole to check the level.
Could be glow plugs if it is cool. Could be voltage. Could be a lot of things.
Do you have a way to scan for codes and monitor the PCM?

My suggestion takes a minute. It also gets the worst possible case eliminated right off. I like to get the lump out of the stomach right away, lol

TyCorr

Reaction score
Very true Ty.

I wasnt trying to pick a bone with you Andy, well Im sure you understood my point!

Just a heads up, but you're one of the best mods ive ever seen on any forum. Always level and cool. Thanks for keeping us in line.

Latest posts

Members online