airdog 100 intall ideas

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
after reading big bore's ad-100 fiasco it got me thinking about the whole dirty fuel through the pump stuff.....i had already ordered my ad-100 before i ran across his thread or i might not have ordered it.....i currently run a regulated return from dieselsite so my fuel line goes from the tank to a dahl (100 i think) 2 micron filter and then to the stock bosch pump.....i was wondering if you guys thought it would hurt the airdog at all to stick the dahl infront of the airdog......my new fuel system is probably gonna go like this: bdp sump (already have it) 1/2" line to the dahl 1/2" line to the airdog 1/2" line to the stock bosch pump and then 3/8" line up to the head....yes i do have an aeromotive filter piggybacked to the bosch pump for post pump filtration.....i only run swamps stage 1 sticks and an h2e with swamps tunes of course.....what are your thoughts?

Big Bore

Reaction score
After doing a lot of research and emailing AD apparently the AD100 does in fact filter before the pump, which leaves one a lot of speculation as to why the pump fried. I found posts on several diesel forums with others having the same problem. AD was fixing them under warranty, as long as your warranty was good. Mine unfortunately was not, even though I had less than 40K on it. My opinion? Skip the AD. If you do a prepump separator and post pump filter into a regulated return, you will be doing the same thing. Some people like Tarm are using a Carter pre-pump/lift pump. I'm not sure I like that as it's one more pump to fail. I'm beginning to like the dual stock pump idea more and more vs the Walbro I'm currently running, since it gives redundancy to the system in case of a pump failure and the stock Bosch pumps last a long time, in tandem should last even longer. If a lift pump fails it can become a restriction and cause premature primary pump failure.

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
I had the AD100 with my old set up. Dave killed it with the new set up. We tried to keep it but could not maintain fuel pressure. They sumped the tank instead and did 2 stock pumps into filters and into the engine. Hold fuel pressure with no issue with 300cc.

TARM

Reaction score
You can not stick the Dahl infornt of the pump it is meant specifically for the vacuum side of the pumps. It can take some pressure but no where near the full amount we call for and it inhibits its performance significantly.

All you need to do is right after the main fuel pump add a baldwin filter head and a Donaldson 2-3 mic absolute filter. All you are looking at is like $50 total to get her done. Then pick up a second SD fuel pump (used) along with 2 Y fittings and add the electrical parts (relays, 10g stranded wire) a couple feet of hose and you are done. I advise the baldwin filter base over the napa one as its a higher quality unit without issues with warped filter joint surface creating leaks. Its a 10an/jic single in and out ports

indyF-350psd

Reaction score
You can not stick the Dahl infornt of the pump it is meant specifically for the vacuum side of the pumps. It can take some pressure but no where near the full amount we call for and it inhibits its performance significantly.

wouldnt the dahl be on the vacuum side if its inbetween the tank and airdog? and i had thought about flow ratings....since big bore already found out that fuel is filtered i dont really need to stick the dahl in there but just curious is it the 10 psi or the 100gph part that might be too much for the dahl?

TARM

Reaction score
wouldnt the dahl be on the vacuum side if its inbetween the tank and airdog? and i had thought about flow ratings....since big bore already found out that fuel is filtered i dont really need to stick the dahl in there but just curious is it the 10 psi or the 100gph part that might be too much for the dahl?

I was basing what I siad off of your comment here
i was wondering if you guys thought it would hurt the airdog at all to stick the dahl infront of the airdog

I read that as infront meaning after the AD. I guess you could see it either way. Front being before or infront meaning toward the front inline to the actual engine.

If its the dahl 150 then no issue at all as the resistance is only 0.75psi @ 80gph flow rate. I do not know what the DAHL100 is for resistance psi@gph.

The issue I would have with the AD100 reliability. As long as that is fine and we are speaking of deleting the stock SD pump or at least not having it in a straight line with the AD then OK.

BigBore,

On your comment about running two pumps gives one more that could fail and stop fuel flow. I do agree with that being one risk with running two pumps in series in a traditional fuels system setup. I think the positives are still worth it but that is a individual decision.

I run a system that is plumbed quite different than is typical in the diesel world. The way I have it setup with the 0 psi surge tank and the fuel/air return from it, if the carter was to fail or blow a fuse etc, the return line from the surge tank would actually then work as the feed line to the main 044 pump. That is part of why I designed it the way I did. Not to mention the way I have the hose and fitting used I can actually stop and unscrew the hose ends from the carter and route it around the carter if I so chose. I would simply undo the fitting going into the Carter and instead screw it into the Dahl150 that the carter is directly attached to. I left a bit of slack in the feed line for just that reason.

I may actually be redoing my system. Not in the the parts used or their general setup just to relocate them. I am moving the batteries to the passenger side rail and then locating all but the carter lift pump into the engine bay. So much easier to get to and no where near as tempting for some jerk to screw with your system. I have heard of guys having people unscrew filters or open the petcock on the dahls, pull wires off the pumps. . I guess with lifted trucks even slightly the increased visibility of the system makes it a target. One guy I know ended up with 20 gals of diesel fuel all over a parking lot. But beyond that I like the idea of it being at eye level in the bay instead of having to crawl under the truck and the protection it affords the parts while off road or in deep snow.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Tarm, my qualms with pumps in series comes from a couple things, one being I live very remote in the Rockies, the other being losing a pump in the middle of winter towing a trailer to get some firewood and sitting stranded on the side of the road in the snow replacing a pump. I lost a Walbro when the AD went out. I do not know that the Walbro may not have lasted longer had the AD pump not gone out, and fortunately I had my spare with me. There is no place within 100 miles that carries anything aftermarket in the event of failure. So that is why I've decided the parallel stock pumps is the best for me.

I do like your idea of moving the filters to the engine compartment and I have recently been thinking the same thing, just because I like the idea of accessing them under the hood instead of under the truck.

TARM

Reaction score
I am on board fully with your reasons for reducing fault points and I agree with them. While not 100 miles from the closest I am around 30 to a auto parts store and 18 to a grocery store so I'm not exactly in the city LOL

I can not afford to be down and is why when I finally decided to run both pumps I set them up as I did. Knock on wood a number of people have 50K + in these pumps still running strong.

I hope to do the relocation of the filters in the next month or at the very least sometime this summer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.