allison transmission?

big johnson

Reaction score
how hard would it be to put a built allison in a 02 7.3? just a thought. or would i be better off to go with building up the stock trans?

willholl79

Reaction score
Allison is just a name. It's a marketing tool for GM. The allisons found in GM light duty pickups aren't the mother of all transmissions. Basically an updated, electronically controlled TH400 thit "allison" stamped on it.

Get a BTS.

washingtoncoastie

Reaction score
Imo, bts or a jw is a way better way to go. Go get on a duramax forum and see how many of them have troubles with that pile. Any stock trans is not gonna last long with more than stock hp. They just aren't designed for it. I have a bts in my excursion. I love it and it never complains no matter how I drive. I think once you had upgraded an allison, and an adaptor plate, and getting the electronics/pcm to work with it, you could buy two bts trans.

TARM

Reaction score
But the Allison 1000 series do have larger hard components comparatively correct? Would sure be nice to have a couple extra gears as well comapred to the 4r100

They do make a flexplate / bell housing adapter to mate a Allison to a 7.3

jdgleason

Reaction score
But the Allison 1000 series do have larger hard components comparatively correct? Would sure be nice to have a couple extra gears as well comapred to the 4r100

They do make a flexplate / bell housing adapter to mate a Allison to a 7.3

That is correct. The parts in an allison dwarf the other trannies. The downside to the allison is it is tuning limited. That is the reason they dont last long above 400 horse. But for what you would gain vs what you would spend.... go with a BTS

TARM

Reaction score
Tuning limited? Even with a stand alone controller? There seems to be some built up one handling as good bit more than 400HP; a lot more. If we are talking stock a 4r100 can not even hold that without work. Figure if you were going to use a stand alone controller regardless. Both built up my GUESS would be even cost but you then need to add in the adapters etc so more cost. But you are also gaining gears. On the street could be very nice. After all we are talking about a 10 yr old tranny design here

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I wouldnt waste the money. BTS or JW would be the way to go. Would be money ahead. I hear about more BTS's behind some very high HP PSD and Cummins.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Tuning limited? Even with a stand alone controller? There seems to be some built up one handling as good bit more than 400HP; a lot more. If we are talking stock a 4r100 can not even hold that without work. Figure if you were going to use a stand alone controller regardless. Both built up my GUESS would be even cost but you then need to add in the adapters etc so more cost. But you are also gaining gears. On the street could be very nice. After all we are talking about a 10 yr old tranny design here

Built allisons are a different story I was referring to stock. But yes even with a stand alone controller.

TARM

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense. I have read some things that with the All there are very specificf ways you have to go about things such as setting it to relearn or it can / will damage parts.

G Racing

Reaction score
A well built Allison will handle 800 to 1000 hp. A stock Allison does not like 500 hp. You can buy all the upgraded hard parts just like you can for the 4r100. money wise you will be way ahead to get a built 4 r100 especially from John wood. They make all the parts to put the Allison behind the 7.3 but it will cost you your check book to do the conversion and the build. If money is not an option put the 6 speed ally in it:rockon: it will be different. If you are on a budget stick with a John woods 4r100. Just my .02 worth

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ooops. I slipped and fell in the shop a few months ago and this was the result:

I went Allison 1000 behind the 7.3 so I could stock replacement parts that would be common between my trucks - my Dmax has a 6 speed ally, my '79 Ford has a 6 speed ally, my sister's '85 chevy will be getting a 6 speed ally, it will just be better and easier to make the Ally work (which it can, will, and does) for my application and take advantage of 6 speeds.

Tom S

Reaction score
I agree on a built 4R100 is going to be the way to go unless you are wanting to get into a pretty complicated project. JW or BTS are good choices.

TARM

Reaction score
Beside the adapter fly wheel and stand alone control what else would we be looking at for moddification to make this work in a 4x4 aplication?

Drive shaft length

Mating to the stock NV273 transfer case? Would you need to swapnto the 34 splie input like the ones used with the 5r100 to mate with the allison?

Cross member movement or modifiaction?

Any tunnel sheetmetal issues?

G Racing

Reaction score
You have to get the adapter for the transfer case, modify/move cross member, modify drive shaft length and yes you will have to check the clearance of the trans to the tunnel. The allison is quite a bit bigger than the 4r100. You might have to run a 2" body lift. Not sure if it will fit without it or not

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
You have to get the adapter for the transfer case, modify/move cross member, modify drive shaft length and yes you will have to check the clearance of the trans to the tunnel. The allison is quite a bit bigger than the 4r100. You might have to run a 2" body lift. Not sure if it will fit without it or not

You just need to swap input shafts on the tcase, elongate one hole on the Allison flange and locate a single speed sensor that is typically found in the tcase on the Dmaxes. No adapters necessary.