Alternator issue

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
Pops replaced the alternator on his truck this morning. Tested it and it was outing out a charge. So he let his truck run at idle to recharge the batteries. After about 15min of run time the truck just shut of, went to go start it and nothing. I jumped his truck off to get it started again.

It started after the batteries got charged a little. I tested the voltage at the batteries. I was only getting 9-10 volts. So long story short bought another alternator and the same thing happened. Only this time the alternator got hot enough that you couldn't touch it.

What would be the issue? Short in the large red wire going to the alternator? Bad relay?

Also does any one have a battery/ charging diagram?

:confused:
Sent from my ADR6400L

Gary

Reaction score
They do get hot when charging. It should be putting out 14.1ish volts. Have your batterys load tested, you may have a junk one and its working the alternator to death. Make sure you have the correct alternator, there are a couple different Ford regulators and they are NOT interchangable but the connectors are the same.

webb06

Reaction score
Never install an alternator with dead batteries. Always give the batteries a good charge. Then swap alternators

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
The second alternator was installed with the batteries fully charged. We ran into the same issue. After the install we tested the alternator, and again no output.

So I got the 3rd alternator installed and it seems to be working good. Pulling around 50 amps/14.19 volts with a slight load. This time we bought a new alternator. The other two were remans.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Lassie

Reaction score
I've lost FICMs and injectors directly after extremely low voltage issues with my personal truck....just FYI. Low voltage is hard on the FICM power supply half.

Latest posts

Members online