Alternator question

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
What controls the alternator charging cycle? I've got an '05 that I can't tell if it's charging correctly. Right now I can only check the system with a multimeter while the truck is sitting still, but I don't think it's charging correctly. The most I've seen is 12.5 volts. This is with the headlights, interior lights, radio, and blower motor all turned on. Just for fun I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt one I had and hit the same results. I also had the local O'Reilly's check the alternator I took off and according to them it passed. I also checked the voltage on an '02 6.0 at work. The '02 showed 13 to 14 volts with the headlights and blower motor turned on. My '05 never has the battery light come on nor do I ever see the lights dim or have any indication that the charing system is not working. The batteries do sometimes require a trickle charger, but I think that's mostly due to lack of use. The truck is parked outside all the time here in Oklahoma and driven maybe two times weekly. Sorry for the long post and thank you for any and all information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
Anyone got a wiring diagram from the alternator to the chassis on an '05 F250?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Alternator doesn't kick on until after glow plugs are done. The only wiring I've ever messed with leads up to the fusible links by the battery.

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
I have been told that the two wire connection at the alternator has one wire hot all the time and the other is ignition powered. My alternator has one wire hot all the time and one dead. I am missing the ignition power to excite the field in the alternator. I need to find out where that wire is fed power from.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have been told that the two wire connection at the alternator has one wire hot all the time and the other is ignition powered. My alternator has one wire hot all the time and one dead. I am missing the ignition power to excite the field in the alternator. I need to find out where that wire is fed power from.

On a 03 it is fed from the instrument cluster. I assume a 05 is the same but cant say for sure.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
75c13177dab2191d0f500f86891bfbad.jpg

Thats a diagram off a 03, wouldn't be hard to figure out if it was the same on a 05.

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
^^^^ This is the plug at the back of the instrument cluster, correct?

Dieselwrench

Reaction score
I HATE RATS!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1446423392955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1446423392955.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77

Snake

Reaction score
Alternator doesn't kick on until after glow plugs are done. The only wiring I've ever messed with leads up to the fusible links by the battery.

On single alternator trucks, its on with the glow plugs. The OEM unit just can't keep up.

rodeo302

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't see a point in starting a new one. I have a single alternator on my truck is it normal to be sitting around 12.5 volts in both batteries at idle

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Snake

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I don't see a point in starting a new one. I have a single alternator on my truck is it normal to be sitting around 12.5 volts in both batteries at idle

I'm afraid not.

rodeo302

Reaction score
Damn alright thanks, so I'm guessing alternator is most likely

rodeo302

Reaction score
Well one is new yesterday, and the other one was new earlier this year, so I'm guessing they are fine. Hopefully I can drive 20 minutes one way with it and still get home and fix it.

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Check your cables. I have the same problem and put the larger 140 amp alternator on from the dual alternator setup that some of these trucks come with. It helped for a few weeks but I'm still around 13-13.5 volts. Cables will be next for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Extended Power

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a DC 270XP or bigger alternator.
Right now I have a Team Green 200 amp, but I don't think it's enough to keep everything I have running, and charge up the batteries at the same time.
It's close, but I think they are slowly declining in voltage.

The other thing I haven't changed, is the first foot or so of the wire leaving the alternator, to the batteries.
It's still the stock wire...whatever small size it is.
I have run heavy cable from where the thin wire joins to the wire going to the batteries...I just didn't have the right connector at the time....and JUST remembered. :doh:

Last edited:

rodeo302

Reaction score
The alternator failed everything so I replaced it and now it's amazing it starts way easier glow plugs are working properly again and everything thanks guys

Snake

Reaction score
The alternator failed everything so I replaced it and now it's amazing it starts way easier glow plugs are working properly again and everything thanks guys

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Members online