American Force polish or PVD??

Pirogue

Reaction score
Does anyone regret going with Polished American Force over PVD? I ain't into polishing all the time.

vrog

Reaction score
Polished looks so nice but its a 2nd job to keep them looking good. I'm on my 3rd set of American Force wheels and none of them have been polished for that very reason lol.

truckman1974

Reaction score
I asked the same question, and I had a guy tell me that since AF uses such high grade materials that you're not having to polish them all the time. Maybe once every month or two. Also, someone told me that there's some spray polish that you can spray on them and wipe them clean and if you do that every car wash (or every other) that it takes the place of polishing. I don't want to spend $5k thinking I can do the above mentioned process and end up with some jacked up wheels.......is this all not true?

Thanks (good thread)

WHY NOT

Reaction score
The best part about polished wheels vs chrome is even if they do start looking like crap, which eventually chrome will pit and start looking crappy too, you can bring them back to life with a little time and some elbow grease. Thats why I like polished over chrome/plated rims.
Here are my welds I did after a winter of neglect, brings them back to new.
IMG_0831_zpsebf3034d.jpg

One on the right is finished
IMG_0832_zps3586e423.jpg

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
exactly like Matt said. With polished you can always bring them back to like new condition vs chrome or PVD which will eventually pit or chip or flake. And if you ever decide you don't like the polished, just have them painted or powdercoated... polished FTW

truckman1974

Reaction score
The best part about polished wheels vs chrome is even if they do start looking like crap, which eventually chrome will pit and start looking crappy too, you can bring them back to life with a little time and some elbow grease. Thats why I like polished over chrome/plated rims.
Here are my welds I did after a winter of neglect, brings them back to new.

What did you use to polish them and how long did it take you to achieve that on the rim on the right? I don't plan on using them during the winter (would use my current Fuels as a winter set) so shouldn't have a SUPER amount of work to do polishing. Did you not polish them at all during the winter?

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
PVD all the way,its not your daddys chrome,its far more sturdy,not that i dont like the polished look just that life's to short to be spending a rare day off polishing your wheels.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Ok, just to make sure I'm understanding. AF Wheels come in 2 choices right (Black or Polished)? When you say PVD are you talking about something different than the polished (non-black) look?

Pirogue

Reaction score
Yes like PVD Hostages have a new chrome-like process. The PVD suppose to have a more durable coating than original Chrome process.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Ok, just to make sure I'm understanding. AF Wheels come in 2 choices right (Black or Polished)? When you say PVD are you talking about something different than the polished (non-black) look?

No sir. American force wheels are custom built to order wheels. The two common options are black or polished, but they can be ordered in many custom finishes.

Yes like PVD Hostages have a new chrome-like process. The PVD suppose to have a more durable coating than original Chrome process.

PVD is a different type of coating. It is more durable, but it still is inferior to polished aluminum wheels IMO

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
The hostages aren't the only wheels offered in the PVD finish either. If you have wheel questions feel free to give us a call 267-935-9755. We can help you out

swinky

Reaction score
PVD all the way,its not your daddys chrome,its far more sturdy,not that i dont like the polished look just that life's to short to be spending a rare day off polishing your wheels.
No. Pvd isn't a substitute for polished wheels. Chrome needs cleaning/polishing to ya know.

swinky

Reaction score
If you touch a curb with chrome wheels you're screwed.

Touch a curb with polished wheels and you sand them down till they're smooth then polish away.

Latest posts

Members online