AMP regular vs the XL. Who has tried them?

TrickTruck

Reaction score
My 350 is pretty tall to be hopping into. Really wanting a set of the AMP steps, but then I found the XL model. Looks pretty cool. I like the rocker and pinch weld cover.

Lots more $$ though, have to raid the piggy bank. Or go back to saving pennies again.

Who's tried the XL? How do they look on our trucks?

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm interested as well. Really sick of the factory steps, but can't loose them. Grandpa needs them when he rides in my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalk09

Reaction score
Love the regular amps. I've had them on my last 2 vehicles. Tuck away great on the f250s. Not a fan of the xl look

Reaction score
Looking back, you may be right. He does say he has amps, but there's also mention of the OUO parts as well. Looking at pictures of the XL steps on other trucks, I'd think they would look pretty similar to what his setup looks like.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Love the regular amps. I've had them on my last 2 vehicles. Tuck away great on the f250s. Not a fan of the xl look

Out of curiosity I looked at the XL. Not for me. Too Tonka truck looking for my personal taste. I like the original AMP steps myself. Nice and clean and hidden.

Notneb

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I looked at the XL. Not for me. Too Tonka truck looking for my personal taste. I like the original AMP steps myself. Nice and clean and hidden.

Whoa wait, you mean you want clean functional mods, not stupid over the top look at how cool I am mods?! That's crazy bromigo, try and make your truck look like a semi, that's what all the cool kids are doing!

In all seriousness I agree, regular amps were the way to go, good call OP!

Layson

Reaction score
Aren't those OUO Rock slider type covers under the doors? Never even saw AMP steps in that thread.

Yeah those actually have amps installed in those steps. It is essentially a drop step for the amps. So you have a second set of steps to use.

What is funny is OUO actually patented that drop step idea. Now AMP makes their own "drop step" deal. I remember showing AMP my steps back in 2011...LOL Probably a mistake...LOL

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Yeah those actually have amps installed in those steps. It is essentially a drop step for the amps. So you have a second set of steps to use.

What is funny is OUO actually patented that drop step idea. Now AMP makes their own "drop step" deal. I remember showing AMP my steps back in 2011...LOL Probably a mistake...LOL

Aren't so many companies good at that????

TrickTruck

Reaction score
The steps came in yesterday, I got home around 5, by 6:30 the mechanical part was done and wifey was calling for dinner. Never did get back to it last night.

This morning I started back in on it. Took me about 2 more hours. Damn green w/ purple stripe my azz. I found 6 that matched that description. Last one naturally was the right one.

Don't know how anyone can install these in an hour, my hat's off to them if it's really possible to do a quality job in an hour.

Then fixed a speaker wire in the door.

Then tried to fix my airlift wireless compressor system. After futzing with it for 30min or so I finally called support. Hot direct to compressor revealed the compressor itself was seized. They are shipping me a new one. Grrr, it's a pita to get to.

Fixed cyclops light on the Cap.

Tried to affix my tablet to the dash w/ velcro. Unsuccessful.

So 3 out of 5 :(

Already don't like the steps. Used to be I had to help wifey in the truck and got to grab her azz, now she can step right in no problem. {sigh}

I do wish the boards were about 20" longer so I could use them as a bed step as well. No dice. They do offer a replacement board that's 6" longer, but that's as far as it goes.

With the wires hooked to the right spots, all works well. Nice addition to the truck, even if I don't have an excuse to grab azz now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online