Another Battery Company Left USA

Viking

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my parts guy and he told me that Johnson Controls is being made in Mexico now. Bye bye optima, not going to buy you now. East Penn/Deka still made in the US. He also has seen a lot of filter companies having their stuff made over seas now.

This just pisses me off and I know this can open a can of worms, but just a heads up on the JCI batteries no longer made in the US.

birdco85

Reaction score
They've been made in Mexico for a while, at least a year I feel. optima has been pretty bad. I get my batteries from Costco now, 3 year free replacement and they don't test them, just take them in at 2 years 11 months.

Sent from my Droid RAZR because I told it to...

greyford1979

Reaction score
I had an Optima in my 79, it started smoking and almost caught the truck on fire. Optima said it wasn't there problem and wouldn't honor the warranty, battery wasn't even a year old. No more Optimas for me!

davey99ps

Reaction score
Optimas use to be really good but they've gone down hill over the past few years. Odyssey is the way to go for dry cells

woodduck97

Reaction score
Yep another battery down the drain. Luckly got a DEKA dealer pretty close to where I live. Going to be getting a set of batterys for the truck and a set for my trolling motor for my bow fishing boat.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I bought a new optima 2 years ago. It wouldn't hold a charge from the day I brought it home and they denied the warranty because it would take 2 days to go dead. Biggest piece of junk I've ever bought. It's still sitting in my garage in the original box. Oh and it says made in Mexico on it

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Powerstoke motors are made in Mexico too, be mad at your government for driving businesses elsewhere. When your government makes it hard to conduct business in the US it makes it easy to analyze your cost vs expense to mover your operations.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my parts guy and he told me that Johnson Controls is being made in Mexico now. Bye bye optima, not going to buy you now. East Penn/Deka still made in the US. He also has seen a lot of filter companies having their stuff made over seas now.

This just pisses me off and I know this can open a can of worms, but just a heads up on the JCI batteries no longer made in the US.

Johnson Controls is still in the US. There's quite a bit of construction work going on at their Toledo plant right now.

Viking

Reaction score
Johnson controls does more than make batteries. I wonder what the construction is for.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Powerstoke motors are made in Mexico too, be mad at your government for driving businesses elsewhere. When your government makes it hard to conduct business in the US it makes it easy to analyze your cost vs expense to mover your operations.
exactly! well said, sad to say that the welfare dept. and court house are the most prosperous "business's" in America, the government has become too much of a parasitic drain for tax payers

Charles

Reaction score
Where do you get those? I was going to get sears platinums for my 00 but id.be up for suggestions.

That is an odyssey, unless something has changed lately.

Fwiw, I've been running my truck on a single 84 dollar exide I bought at tractor supply, and can't tell a second's difference between it and my old odyssey 1500. I'm sure if a person loaded it hard winching or similar it would be wildly varied between the two, but for actually running and cranking the truck... the cheapy works fine.

*** expensive batteries...

TyCorr

Reaction score
That is an odyssey, unless something has changed lately.

Fwiw, I've been running my truck on a single 84 dollar exide I bought at tractor supply, and can't tell a second's difference between it and my old odyssey 1500. I'm sure if a person loaded it hard winching or similar it would be wildly varied between the two, but for actually running and cranking the truck... the cheapy works fine.

*** expensive batteries...

Arent exide batteries good? My dad always swore by them. I have #gasp# walmart batteries in my truck. They havent really done me.wrong but they are beat after two years.

Im not necessarily for the expensive shti but I put a sears platinum in our van which has tvs, two heating and cooling systems, three power doors,etc. It was slaughtering batteries every year and two years ago I bought one a size bigger than recommended from sears. No more troubles. I was so pleased I spent 220$ on one for my LS a couple.months ago.

Are interstate batteries any good? Stick.with cheap shti in my truck?

old96stroker

Reaction score
I am not for sure Ty, my dad works at the plant where the odysseys are made, the sears platinums are essentially the same battery though, running one in my black truck right now, I had heard batteries plus could get the odysseys but not for sure, I guess just try and google it, you won't be disappointed in them.

Latest posts

Members online