Another ESOF stumper

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So my T Case is stuck engaged.
Last year it wouldnt engage so i replaced the shift motor and the relays. Worked fine up till now.
(Disclaimer)
I did have to rotate the shift motor about 1/8 turn to get it on the shaft. It would not go on with the shaft in any position. So i put the t case in disengaged position and adjusted the motor accordingly.

Symptoms
T case engaged
No 4x4 light
Hubs would not unlock
Blower does not default to defrost vent.

I replaced the relays again to no avail. Ended up manually locking then unlocking the hubs, tapped on them with a hammer and they unlocked. Idk if it was the hammer or the locking/unlocking manually that unlocked the hubs tho.

Im guessing the shift motor is shot but idk why my hubs wouldnt open using the ESOF.

Anyone have an idea before i take this bish in. I dont have a place to wrench on it untill another few weeks. :(

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Test the vaccum lines. Also my hubs wouldn't engage and after I pulled them off I see that @ 290k the grease is thick/gummed up.
On your hub issue lock by hand for now. ON the T-case, unk BUT if you're having other hvac issues I'd guess your vac pump is going out or more likely the hoses are getting old and are leaking.
Good luck.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Everything checks out fine except the damn shift motor. I need it fixed asap so im taking it in today. Dam i hate paying ppl to work on my junk but atm i have no garage and all my tools are in storage. :(

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
T case shift motor it is.
$700 ***kin dollars
FU plattsburg ford

Idk how it could possibly be that much labor. $150 part that they prob charge $300 for so $500 to do what i (and many many others) can accomplish in an hour.

Still doesnt explain the hubs staying locked either.

Cant bish cuz i knew it was coming tho. dam You's dealer service departments.

To rub salt in too
I am positive i could next day the part from tousley for $300 or less. Fml. Lol

sootie

Reaction score
ya-there is an oem one in the classifieds for 100.00

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So i am trying to justify this $700

How long do you guys think it would take to troubleshoot the whole system. Gem, hubs, vac lines, motor and whatever else. Im positive that in a shop with a lift i can drain the tc, change the motor and fill tc back up in 1/2 hour or less so they had to have checked everything before the shift motor to justify the labor charge.

I know it sounds like i am griping. I knew i would be raped on it but $700 is a bit extreme imo. Maybe thats just the book says tho.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Wow!! Ford is always top tier pricing, wouldn't expecting anything less!

For those times when I dont want to or I'm unable to work on my own junk, I always have a good back up shop that has nothing to do w/ ferd.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
I rly didnt have a choice this time. Just moved to this area and the only indie mech shop ive dealt with was to swap on the fiances snow tires. After talking with the owner i wasnt the least bit impressed.

I think this particular dealer is just in for max income. Its par for course here in northern new england.

And btw
The shift motor was supposed to be delivered this morning but somehow my truck is still there. Lofl

Nvr again. Ill buy a $500 beater if i have to. Lol

Latest posts

Members online