Another Fuel in the Valley thread

Redpower

Reaction score
I did a bunch of searching without out many answers to my question.... Truck has 193k on it and everything is original to my knowledge. The truck has a massive leak in the valley and I plan to tear out the bowl and rebuild it. I also plan the put new rubber hoses on. While I have everything apart do I replace the mechanical pump? Right now I have no way of telling if it is leaking out of the weep hole.

Reaction score
It's hard to say. If you have the funds and only want to do the work once, do it all now. If not you can do just the bowl rebuild with new hoses and see if the leak is still present. After doing fuel pumps a number of times, it wouldn't bother me to do it twice (not counting my current Cali 97 ... different story there). Cheers!

ghohouston

Reaction score
unless youre just set on doing all that, id run a garden hose (or pressure wash the motor if your motor is filthy) through the valley, dry with compressed air, and start it up. crawl up there with a flashlight and mirror, you will find you leak. it could be the pumps weep hole, the copper washers on the banjo, any of those rubber bowl lines, drain valve, etc...

mandkole

Reaction score
Ive been around 3 different OBSs that started the same way and pump replacement was required. A good afternoons work..

Redpower

Reaction score
I'm not going to do e-fuel on this truck. This one was a truck I got from a friend and will most likely be getting rid of it in the near future. I'm still on the fence on replacing the pump. Right now I think I will pull the fuel bowl and see what those lines look like. If they look pretty bad and cracked, I will leave the pump alone.

mandkole

Reaction score
You more than likely have the pump failing and when you get in there, you'll see that the old, heat aged lines are trashed. For the work that it takes to get in there, just do it all right the first time.

zilla68

Reaction score
I will have a used pump here in hopefully 2 weeks, it was brand new and I probably have the receipt for it, you can have the pump for shipping if you want it. works fine, just went/going e fuel

mattymx

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the pulse dampner was only on cali trucks

That's kinda true but I've seen quite a few 97 split shot trucks that were bought outside Cali. Just checking. I made a sweet tool that removing the damper a 5 minute job for my OBS.

Hope you get that leak sorted out.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
That's kinda true but I've seen quite a few 97 split shot trucks that were bought outside Cali. Just checking. I made a sweet tool that removing the damper a 5 minute job for my OBS.

Hope you get that leak sorted out.

Cali trucks weren't just sold in Cali from what I've seen.

Latest posts

Members online