Any ideas how to "blackout"?

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Everyone,

I did some searching, and came up with some stuff close to what I was looking for. I got a few results talking about Police Mode using an IDS, but it doesn't do exactly what I'm looking for.

My goal is to find a way to totally shut off all lighting, including brake lights. Why? If you were in the military, you might know the term driving blackout.... with NVG's. Any sort of bright light makes it very hard to see through night vision correctly. Well I use my night vision quite a bit out on my ranch. I'd love to be able to drive around with them. Problem is, all the dash lights make it very hard to do so. The reflection of the windshield is blinding. And when you hit the brakes, forget it. The light comes in off the mirrors and it's like looking into the sun!

Of course, I don't want to ruin anything on my truck. Drive it daily. I was thinking someone with some know how on the electrical system would know a way I could hook some of the rocker switches up, and ground out all lighting in the truck without affecting any operation.

I understand that this may be next to imposable to accomplish without some serious modification.

Thanks!

duddy

Reaction score
I think tapping a switch into the fused power supply for each circut might be the easiest way. I am not sure on how isolated things are but that is how several of the trucks I work on operate.

Edit, If you can find a wiring diagram it may be easy to isolate out the gauge lights on the wiring feeding the gauge cluster.

Last edited:

CallMeColt

Reaction score
I was thinking of putting just the brake lights on a switch at least. I'm going to ask the dealership for a wire diagram. The owners manual fuse list might be a good idea.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Wouldn't just leaving the light switch in the off position and throwing a toggle on the brake lights work?

CallMeColt

Reaction score
Wouldn't just leaving the light switch in the off position and throwing a toggle on the brake lights work?

Not really. Even the night from the gauge needles is enough to blind the night vision.

I'm thinking it may be easier to put a few small velcro patches in the corners of the gauge cluster and cut a black sheet to put over it. Quick and easy!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online