Anyone rebuild the oem limited slip?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
One wheel burn-out...
Not happy.
I have only put a couple thousand miles on my '05 F-250 so I'm guessing the stock clutches are just gone.

Anyone rebuild theirs?
If so, is there an upgraded clutch that can be used?

Thanks.

Zmann

Reaction score
lots of info out there
some tried to add a disc or clutch etc

search sterling limited slip rebuild

I have been thinking about doing it myself

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Rebuilt mine, it works ok. I'm running an oil with no additive, and I didn't add any. Yes it chatters a bit, but locks up pretty good. Once it craps out, trutrac is going in.

chappy

Reaction score
Honestley I have tried rebuilding them several times and even new they won't hold very good. They are super easy to rebuild as well. I have never tried the yukon clutch kit that randys ring and pinion offers I've always used ford clutches. The 9.75 is an awesome unit so I wish ford would have done the same with the 10.5's. I would really just throw it up on ebay or craigslist andbuy a tru trac.

alwil

Reaction score
Does anyone know the average cost of a tru track ?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
I put a new axle assembly in my truck. I have a rear pinion and the entire internals (ring gear all them parts sitting under a table in my garage.
It is 05- f250
373-10.5

Spatel23

Reaction score
It's not worth the time and parts to rebuild. It will fail again.

Just put a truetrac in it, I assure you, you will come out ahead.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how long I'll have the truck for so I don't think changing the unit is a cost effective option if I only keep the truck a few years.
For $120 from Ford I figure I might give it a shot.

Thanks for the input all.

nchappy

Reaction score
Got a trutrac from summit and it was installed at local dealership (Babbitt Ford is very good)
Spent about $1k total

Zmann

Reaction score
at least they could try to up sell them as better than OEM plates .. heck the might be OEM plates at twice the cost?

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I rebuilt my stocker in the dually and while it was the easiest rear end I have ever done, and it held up well and would spin both rear tires afterwards I'm sure with all the added power I have now it won't for long

Blowby

Reaction score
Jim, Did you pull it apart yet? The reason I ask is sometimes they will stack the clutches and steels incorrectly so the truck doesn't chatter. My F350 7.3 was this way and all I did was rearrange to the correct clutch, steel, clutch, steel....

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Jim, Did you pull it apart yet? The reason I ask is sometimes they will stack the clutches and steels incorrectly so the truck doesn't chatter. My F350 7.3 was this way and all I did was rearrange to the correct clutch, steel, clutch, steel....

No, not yet.
I have read a lot of that same issue, though, so I figure I have to pull the cover to confirm 2 or 3 pinion anyway, I might just check out the plates, and if they are not in the 'proper' order, maybe I'll try that before buying a rebuild kit.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online