Anyone running a 68mm on stock injectors?

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I'm going to be sending my truck in for studs soon. While the truck apart I was going to have them install 190s but the job is going to cost more than I thought, possibly. I'd most likely be going to MPD since they are so close. They do charge more then the other guys here but they o-ring the heads, which is a plus but at more money obviously.

With that being said, I can't get the injectors and the turbo at the same time. But I'd like to get one or the other as the price of things are always going up. Can the truck be tuned to run on a 68mm from barder or the KC68 utilizing stock injectors? They are pretty much the same turbo, but wondering if there will be too much air?

I'd also have a RR and ported intake installed and I'd be running a FICM tune as well. So any input is appreciated.

I think people have thrown around the possibility or detuning the 190s, but to me that seems more detrimental, no? I have an 06 turbo and an 03 at my disposal currently. But as I said, if I were to buy the 190s, then no turbo or vice versa on the turbo and no injectors.

kdogg85

Reaction score
Wait for the turbo, hell of a lot easier to swap than injectors. Neutering the injectors to get you by won't hurt anything.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Personally if the truck is already apart then injectors are the way to go. Im looking at it from a labor standpoint... I can swap a turbo easily or pay very little to have it swapped. There is more labor involved in swapping injectors if that's all that's being done. Im sure the turbo will spool being a vgt if you went stock injectors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

baderic03

Reaction score
Turbo in and out and running about 45min. 8 injectors in and out about 3hrs and running. But if you ain't doin it your self you will pay about $300 in labor for turbo and $600 in labor for injectors roughly

kdogg85

Reaction score
A couple years ago 190/75 or 190/100 and an 03 turbo was popular. So you'd be fine till you saved up for a turbo.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah turbos are no problem. I see where you guys are going with that. I'd be running 190/30s or 50s. I don't know which nozzles MPD offers

william_ace

Reaction score
FWIW I run 175/stock and a barder 68mm. It spools the same as stock and has a tad more power as well. But that's probably from the slightly larger body.

white07psd

Reaction score
I run a 64.7 barder with stock injectors. just ficm tune and hot sct tune. It pulls really good but the injectors run out of fuel. Its not fuel pressure dropping but the injectors cannot flow enough. Id definitely do injectors first.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Injectors first. When I asked my tuner what would be better to tune..... the response I got was injectors then do the turbo.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Another vote for injectors first... especially from a labor standpoint. Have them install everything at once. If MPD is doing the injectors and doing the build then I would definitely have them do it all at once. It leaves less to chance. Have the pro's install their own injectors

KCTurbos

Reaction score
To answer your other question about running a 68mm on stock injectors... IMO a larger 68mm vgt turbo can be run on stock injectors with no problem... but it is definitely no ideal. You are not going to get big gains compared to if you had bigger injectors. The turbo should spool fine (especially on a race tune). I drove my truck around for a few weeks with 175/75 injectors, our KC 68mm stage 3 vgt, all on stock tuning (NO TUNER, NO FICM TUNE). The truck drove just fine and was a little peppier than stock. I have had other guys with our KC 68mm stage 3 turbos report how impressed they are with how fast the turbo spools on stock tuning. But get it locked in OD at 1500 rpms and you would notice the difference.

Driving around with a larger 68mm vgt turbo for a short period of time waiting for injectors is just fine in my book... but I would not recommend it for anyone looking for big power to plan for a 68mm vgt turbo with stock injectors expecting huge power. We took a stock truck, stock injectors, with 2003 stock turbo and pushed it to the limit on the dyno, then we swapped on our KC 68mm to see what kind of gains we could get out of it... it only gained 30hp... then we put int 190/100s on a stock turbo and did the same thing and pushed it to the max on the dyno. Then we swapped on our KC 68mm turbo and it gained 133hp... So the 68mm only gained 30hp on stock injectors but gained 133hp on 190/100s... Sizing is very important IMO when it comes to these types of mods.

Hope that helps

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im going to do that then. Would it be advisable to get a FICM tune as well or wait until I get the 68 then get the FICM tune.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah I know that, but I didnt know if the FICM tune would help the larger injectors be more streetable when they are going to be de-tuned. Just an out loud thought.

Latest posts

Members online