Arp torque 215 ft lbs vs high hp

Fox hunt

Reaction score
I know Arp lowered the torque to 215 on their bolts with ultra lube, and from all my reading everyone still tightens the more than that. So my queston is do you think 215 is enough when you start doing larger injectors and turbos or will you be just fine? Looking for first hand experience and opinions.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Mdub707

Reaction score
I fully plan on torquing mine to 215.

I would call ARP and see what they recommend. Some shops are still going up to 250+, and that scares me. Damaging the studs and block distortion would be my reasons NOT to do it...

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
been torquing to 215 since ultra came out. never a issue.

success goes further than just the torque valve itself.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
ive seen a stud snap, this genius was torquing to 300 ft lbs on studs that have been reused 8 time.

MorganY

Reaction score
This is what i was recommended to torque to when i asked a mechanic that has done a couple dozen of them.

That's a bit overkill IMO. Not sure how many times you will be able to re use those. I run mine up to 245 with the new stuff. Seen lots of heat and 50lbs of boost with no issues.

imelmo

Reaction score
That's a bit overkill IMO. Not sure how many times you will be able to re use those. I run mine up to 245 with the new stuff. Seen lots of heat and 50lbs of boost with no issues.

That's what we did ours to also.

AllanB

Reaction score
Lowering the torque when lubricating is a rule on any piece of equipment with any type of bolt. Lubed is lower torque and dry is going to be higher. Most of you guys go a little higher because you are running quite a bit of hp and just want the reassurance. But I think that a lot of people that are not running 700hp+ just don't understand this and they think that ARP are the only people who do this. When in fact it is the same all over the world on any peice of equpment that you torque. I am sure there are some of you on this site that work on equipment and have seen it on preventive maintenance.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Just depends on what all is done to it and what you plan to do in the future, for a hotter build Id go atleast 250 if not to 275 on final pass. If it is done right it shouldnt blow so no need to worry about having to retorque down the road. Do it once do it right.

Mdub707

Reaction score
There are a few shops that seem to do it, and get away with it, but these are specific high HP applications a lot of times. It seems to trickle down to the guy with a programmer and exhaust doing studs in his driveway and now he thinks going to a higher number is "going to hold better." Really makes one wonder if 1/2 of the people doing this even understand the yield strength of the material and what stud stretch is. How many people going to 245 and above have talked to ARP about what they think on this? Surely everyone right? I wouldn't even re-use a stud that was torqued to that amount. We haven't even gotten into block distortion. I wish I could talk my employer into letting us design a hydraulic stud tensioner for this application. Since that's what we do all day everyday, just on a much larger scale.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
There are a few shops that seem to do it, and get away with it, but these are specific high HP applications a lot of times. It seems to trickle down to the guy with a programmer and exhaust doing studs in his driveway and now he thinks going to a higher number is "going to hold better." Really makes one wonder if 1/2 of the people doing this even understand the yield strength of the material and what stud stretch is. How many people going to 245 and above have talked to ARP about what they think on this? Surely everyone right? I wouldn't even re-use a stud that was torqued to that amount. We haven't even gotten into block distortion. I wish I could talk my employer into letting us design a hydraulic stud tensioner for this application. Since that's what we do all day everyday, just on a much larger scale.

Man people are looking over your comments mike :wtf:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Overlooking my comments almost answers the question though...

I was actually contacted by an ARP rep a while back and had a lengthy discussion about the torque on the studs, specifically about the 6.0. This was about a month or so BEFORE the ultra-torque came to the market. We had talked about ARP recommendations, and we had talked about the "ford method" (using angles, instead of torque values) etc. Anyone else remember the disclaimer on ARP's website aimed at 6.0 powerstroke owners about NOT torquing past the values? That was with the old lube too.

Where I work, we design studs and other hardware for compressors. We also design hydraulic tensioners that stretch studs to a pre-determined length and then you can hand tighten a nut on it, so there is no loss through friction when tightening a nut down (similar to why ARP came out with this new lube, to reduce scatter).

Always interesting reading these threads and seeing who is torquing to what, and get almost no answers back as to WHY they are going to that value.

Anyone actually calculated what kind of stretch you're putting on these going to these values? Or is it "well I did it, and it worked, so it must be good" kind of thing? Anyone figured out the % of stretch against yield strength?

This is only one aspect of the whole thing, just the physical properties of the stud, and whether or not it can handle it. I'm not even going to touch on the other parameters.

Anyways, that's just me spit-balling again, I'll keep an eye on this to see what everyone has to say. I know some of the guys on here have done WAY more stud jobs than I ever even will, so obviously some of you know what works, but did you all just guess to get there? Who's actually done the math?

Latest posts

Members online