Ate a trans, need new trans advice.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Well at the NHRDA season opener I destroyed my trans. Wouldn't shift into 4th or reverse so that leads me to believe I smoked the direct clutches. So I want to build this trans my self and have been tossing around some ideas in my head. Thinking about doing all stock hard parts since I haven't had an issue yet, trying to decide on what clutches to run (stock, Raybestos, other) and some kinda of a billet triple disc converter. Might throw in a Aermet input shaft but I'll have to see. The reason that I am not going all out with all billet and shift kits is that I don't want this to end up like my Elite trans in my 6.4 that I had / have so many issues with from eating converts, not shifting correctly, or breaking hard parts left and right. Both my stock 5r110's in either my 6.4 or 6.0 shifted perfect and didn't slip till the end and were reliable but both of them went over 100,000. Can I get away with more stock parts at 600+ and having to go through it with new clutches every 50,000 or so but staying more reliable and less likely to break a hard part or am I missing something here? Are there any pump mods I should do or just leave that stock as well? Just looking for some more input on this before I tear into it.

swinky

Reaction score
I think your elite trans had issues. Mine did the same when I smoked the direct clutch. Have you built a trans before?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dlinzy

Reaction score
We're looking at this too as an option. With the thinking that the only part that's died is the clutches at 500 - 550 and it's lasted a couple of years of abuse why throw 100's at the parts that aren't breaking?

I'm looking at Raybestos clutches a direct drive Sol. and reuse my 08 deep pan with true internal filter.

One of the other forums suggested a new cooler and possibly a 400 RevMax Tq. convertor over the 900 PI converter.

I can have these parts put in my tranny swap the good stuff for around 1500 with labor.

That's a far cry from an Andy Warren built 4200.00 with shipping both ways.

I think if you use a knowledgeable mechanic there isn't that much difference in the internals.

Denny

Craig@MFI

Reaction score
I can put you together a nice kit if you wanna build it yourself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

MINK

Reaction score
Let me know when you figure out a kit, I'm getting ready to do mine again and have been looking at different options.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
Going to be doing a DPC converter from mike, just need to figure out if I am doing stock clutches or if I am going to do raybestos ones. Any other work on what the pump mod is?

MINK

Reaction score
Going to be doing a DPC converter from mike, just need to figure out if I am doing stock clutches or if I am going to do raybestos ones. Any other work on what the pump mod is?

It's just a spring and you drill out a valve iirc.

Good choice on the converter, I talked to Phil today and he said they are a week out but that's what I'm going with again aswell.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.