Auto or manual?

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
The age old question. My trans is starting to act up, flare shifting,banging gears. Tc shutter, I can get it built for anywhere 2800-5100 depending on how big and badass I want to go with it. But I would think a manual swap would be cheaper and easier to maintain in the long run. Not to mention I have yet to ride in a e4 or 4r that didn't break your neck everytime it shifts.

I know I would need
Pcm,pedals,cross member,flywheel, clutch/slave drive shaft t case

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I'd be doing the hole thing, minus going into the trans. If I found a doner truck I think I'd be golden. The only thing etra other then putting eith er trans in it'd be pcm. Pedals wiring harness . I drove my neighbors with stg2's I must say it pull hard. For a single disc south bend

BDS

Reaction score
I see your sig says 03. Is that 03 6.0 or 03 7.3? If it where a 5 speed trans (6.0) Ide keep the auto, But if its a 4 speed trans (7.3) I would consider the manual. I HATE the 3 to 4 gear jump in my 4R100. Gear vendors may be in order.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I would build the auto. Manual trucks are cool for a while, but eventually you get sick of shifting. There are very reliable 4R100's available, and with good tuning the shifting can be great (firm but not hard/harsh).

Also, if you are looking for performance the auto wins hands down. Trying to build a fast manual trans truck is tough.

dieseltron

Reaction score
Had a zf6 in my first super duty. Hated it. Newer one has a 4r. Much more fun unless it's a tow pig.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

blackcloudpsd03

Reaction score
I haven't changed my sig yet I no longer have that truck i hav a 97 now, I got spoiled with the tq shift I wish I could put a tq shift in. I don't like the zf6 I would do a 5. The 5th gear in both trans are about the same. My truck has 4.10's so that low gear would be useless.

No I'm not looking for a fast truck I'm done and over that it's got a chip stg1's and a turbo. I'm not hard on it its starting to flare shift the tq converter is starting to chatter
And I agree with the 3-4shift if I'm at 2500rpm + it feels like the hole truck is going to break I had a old 12v with a goerend trans in it. I sold it because of the way it shifted

old man dave

Reaction score
My buddy did the E4OD to ZF-5 swap since he loved stick shifts. Over same 500 mile round trip towing small 5'ver he got 1.5 mpg improvement and better control coasting downhill with the ZF-5 compared to the E4OD.

At the time, he also had a 392 475hp 6 speed stick Hemi Challenger for fun. Did I say he loved stick shifts?

6 months later, he swapped the E4OD back in because his left leg and right arm got tired. Not as romantic in a truck as he remembered.

I have a BTS E4OD. A BTS does not shift like a stock E4OD. Shift firmness is determined by the size of the holes Brian drills into the separator plate, anywhere from soft to full-on bang-shift. After 50K miles the BTS started to loose the new feeling with the shifts getting slightly softer than I liked it (firm but not bang-shift at WOT). Just one size larger drill bit restored the firm shifts that I like. Its all in knowing which holes to fool with.

superpsd

Reaction score
I have been rowing a ZF5 daily for about 4 years now and would not have it any other way. Well maybe a ZF6...

Latest posts

Members online